Sunday, March 21, 2010

Perhaps a Vantastic Day

Today may be a big day in the life of Hingsburger:Disabled.

Through a complex series of relationships, it turns out I'm only a couple of degrees of separation from a wheelchair van that needs a new home. I've been wanting a wheelchair van for a long time. I've looked and looked but the cost is so very high, outside our reach. Well, this one is a bit older, OK mileage for the age of the vehicle and has a newly renovated hydraulic lift.

After a couple of calls and a couple of messages, I managed to speak to the woman who is selling the van. She spoke briefly about buying it to transport her husband and then, suddenly not needing it any more. I didn't ask. I could tell. We stayed on the subject of the van and ramps and wheelchair sizes.

Joe is going to go after church this morning to take a look at the thing. If it looks good, he'll drive it down for me to look at and for us to ensure three things. First, I can get in it. Second, the chair can get in it. Third, it seems sturdy enough to do some short hauls up to Ottawa and places around here where I'd love to take my power chair or my scooter.

I'll ask all of you to cross your fingers that this works out. My quality of life might, quite literally, shift into high gear.

11 comments:

theknapper said...

Good luck!!!!!!!!

AkMom said...

Fingers definitely crossed. Best of luck!g

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed.

Kristin said...

Keeping my fingers crossed and saying a quick prayer that this works out.

FridaWrites said...

Being able to transport a power chair improves quality of life dramatically--wishing you luck.

Jan said...

Fingers, toes and knees crossed for you Dave

Dave Hingsburger said...

Turns out the van is just a wee bit too old and a wee bit too tired, this sounds like discrimination ... but it's a van, people, a van.

KansasCity said...

Kansas City says fingers and toes crossed and positive thoughts coming your way.

Anonymous said...

Much better to pass on the old and tired van. The most helpless I've ever felt was when the van broke down miles from home with no easy way to get me home without it. Good luck, they say a good man is hard to find..a good van..even harder, but both are worth the search.

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed in Buffalo, NY!

Cynthia F. said...

Woo hoo! Fingers crossed.