Friday, December 02, 2011

Home Late Blog

A nice moment.

I was leaving my friends Belinda and Susan's, who work for Christian Horizon's, agency Christmas party. I had rolled up to the lobby and was waiting for Joe to go and get the car.

To my left was the 'bell stand' where a young bellman stood chatting to a fellow wearing a lovely dark suit. The bellman was trying to track down why the taxi had not arrived. He kept calling the cab company and hanging up to a busy signal. In between the calls I heard him chatting with the fellow waiting. I couldn't hear the conversation because the man in the suit spoke too softy to hear.

Finally, the bellman said, 'If you want to go back to your party, I'll get you when the cab comes. No sense you waiting out here.' The fellow nodded.

And turned.

He had Down Syndrome.

And I couldn't tell from the young bellman's manner.

That may not shock you, but it shocks me.

And, that moment following that evening, my friends, comprises the official start to my holiday season.

9 comments:

Sunshine and Shadows said...

Dave,
That is lovely. Thank you for sharing it with us. This is how the world should be everywhere!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

Mine, too. Thank you Dave.

wheeliecrone said...

Joy to the World!

Tamara said...

Shocks me too ... and gives me a little ray of hope ...

Princeton Posse said...

Dave, great story but what's with the car ad from Australia! LOL

HCG said...

Very touching and lovely.

Dave Hingsburger said...

Princeton Posse, I have a spam filter but sometimes one gets through. That did. I've removed it, probably much to the chagrin of Austrailian readers who are looking for a used car!

Carolina said...

Love it! You just made my day with this post! I'm glad to know there is still people in this world that are willing to treat everyone with good manners no matter what!

Belly (Liz McLennan) said...

Great way to start the day, Dave. Thanks for sharing and let's all work towards a day when this is the norm, not the shocking exception.