Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Suspended

It stole my peace from me.

A quiet dread.

A growing fear.

A gnawing anxiety.

I keep changing the locks, but insecurity always has a key. Over last weekend, I had a growing dread. I began to feel moments of panic. I began to question my abilities. In my mind's eye, I stood and watched hope for my future die.

I couldn't talk about it.

It would sound silly.

I couldn't brush it away.

It stuck like a burr to my sense of self.

I couldn't think of a single strategy.

Except to endure in silence.

I woke in the morning having slept but not rested. I knew that I had to face my concern, I had to go on as if it was any other day.

'Are you alright?'

A question asked in caring made me angry.

It meant that my act had been seen through.

It meant that my weakness had been discovered.

'I'm fine, now leave me alone.'

My shoulders tightened.

My stomach clenched.

And I waited for the axe to fall.

This moment, long in coming, had been presaged. 'Who do you think you are?' 'When I want your opinion, I'll ask for it.' 'Ugly is one thing, stupid is another.' This moment, a moment of discovery. Wounds given in daylight, fester in darkness. And it was here. And ...

Nothing happened.

Nothing at all.

And I learned again.

Fear is a liar.

Why don't I remember that?

Ever?

5 comments:

Cyndi in BC said...

An awesome poem! I think I need to read it at least once every day. :)

theknapper said...

If only we could get that fear is like a wave; it looks like it'll overtake us but then once it crests it goes away.Not easy to hold onto this when you're fighting for air.

Glee said...

Like I used to say to my doctor after spending years on the couch in psychotherapy being angry with and scared of people and tried out not being scared or angry but acting anyway "And Henny Penny the sky didn't fall!!!"

And it didn't fall on you either Dave!

wendy said...

It's hard to remember when your palms are sweating and your heart is racing. I'm glad the dread has passed for you.

Kristin said...

Fear is a huge liar and the fact that it does that so well is what makes fear so powerful.