Saturday, July 17, 2010

Calling Dr. Ruby



Ruby was really excited.

Her dad had called her to the phone to chat with me after he and I had finished talking. She came giggling onto the phone. 'HI, DAVY,' she said being the only person in the world who has ever called me 'Davy'. I said, 'Hi, Ruby!' I asked her what she was doing and she said that she and her dad were going to go out with her Princess bike to ride with her friends.

'Do you have anything planned for the weekend,' I asked knowing she, her sister and her mom were going away for a few days.

'Yes,' she said excitedly.

'What,' I asked breathlessly.

'I'm going to ride my bike with my friends and then I'm going to sleep, then I'm going to ride my bike with my friends and then I'm going to sleep, then I'm going to ride my bike with my friends and then I'm going to sleep ...' At this point she handed the phone over to her dad and he came on the phone laughing. We both agreed that in essence she'd caught life.

'Do stuff. Sleep. Do stuff. Sleep.'

The difference is, at nearly four, she finds the routine exciting and comforting all at the same time. She eagerly looks forward to doing what she does in the day and then resting up to do it again the next day.

After we'd hung up, Joe and I began to talk over the next several days. We have a long stretch in front of us with lots of things to do, lots to be accomplished. On top of that I'm still dealing with medication related depression.

But that call helped in it's wee way.

Cause I still get to ...

Do stuff. Sleep. Do stuff. Sleep.

There is excitement there. There is security there.

I need wisdom from a nearly four year old every now and then.

7 comments:

Susan said...

I love it!

Kristin said...

Sometimes I need to be smacked over the head with kid wisdom. Ruby is a smart little girl.

theknapper said...

And it's how she says it full of passion and energy.

donna said...

I am so excited to have found this... I too have worked with folks with disabilities for over 25 years and after an amputation and stroke find myself in the role of one with a disability. I attended an inservice years ago and bought I Contact, I Witness and i to I. You quickly became an inspiration to me and as such, I hope I have made changes in the way I serve the amazing folks who put their trust in me. You have always been a source of inspiration for me and now all these years later I am thrilled to have this reconnection again. I look forward to reading more and having someone like you to connect with today! Thanks for all you have given to my life!!!!!

Dave Hingsburger said...

Donna,

My gosh, those books have been out of print for a very long time. I'm so glad you found the site and hope you find stuff here that's helpful. May I ask where you live, did we meet at the inservice?

Donna said...

I am from Columbus Ohio and I think it may have been in an OPERA conferance... I do not remember the setting now, just the impact it had. I guess that was the important part huh. You did sign my copy of I Contact.

Karry said...

Dave, I have been a "silent" reader of your blog for about a year now. I work in the field of developmental disabilities, and have for about 20 years. I read your blog daily, and have passed entries on to other staff and to people we serve. I really admire you.

I love this post, and found that it cheered me up, too. What a neat kid.

Thanks for everything you do!