Tuesday, May 04, 2010

It Can't Talk With It's Mouth Full

It was an odd conversation. Much odder than the one she had with the big plastic swan she uses to ride in the swimming pool. But I'm sure the swan loved hearing how much she loved the big blue diamonds in her crown. So, I stayed in the washroom and just listened in to what she had to say.

We were staying at a hotel in Ottawa while presenting in Carleton Place so we used the time to visit with Mike, Marissa, Sadie and Ruby. Mike was all excited because he wanted to show us a picture that Ruby had done of us. It's a kids drawing but it's absolutely impossible to miss my wheelchair in the picture. She has always liked my chairs and has used them at various times as a fort, a climbing tree and a jet plane. Now she has incorporated the chair into a portrait of me.

I had rolled over to the washroom and then locked the wheels so I could get up and go into use the facilities. Ruby seldom sees me out of my chair and, the corollary to that she seldom sees my chair without me. I heard her little voice through the door before noticing that she was talking to my chair.

"Don't worry, Dave will be back in a minute," she said comforting my obviously lonely chair.

The chair must have said something back because then she said, "Dave likes riding in you too."

After that I couldn't hear much of the conversation and then she was distracted by what was happening in the room. I came out and took my seat. Oddly, I felt that I should say something, as if the chair was waiting for me to continue a chat that Ruby had started.

I felt silly but I said, meaning it, "Thanks for waiting."

Ruby, glanced over grinning. She approved.

11 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks Dave what an enjoyable trip into the mind of a child. I like her world where things important to us miss us when we are not there. Being part of theri world means taking flights of fancy every now and then and what a wonderful flight it can be. Have a great day

wendy said...

I love this post. I hope your chair felt better after she had her little chat with it! :-)

Anonymous said...

These about family are my favorite of your blogs. Your heart and writing shines with Ruby love.

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling widely! Thanks for a great post.

MC Mobility said...

Brilliant. Out of the mouths of babes.

You better be careful though! John Hockenberry, the former reporter for Dateline, was just convinced one of his twin girls was never going to learn how to walk like her sister. So one day he transferred out of his chair onto the couch and set her down in his chair. She put one hand on one wheel and the other hand on the other wheel and took off!

Kristin said...

You did good by acknowledging her flight of fancy. What a sweet, wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thing to read first thing in the morning.

Note to self: try to see the world the way Ruby would more often.

Liz Miller said...

Lovely!

Kali said...

So adorable! :)

Brenda said...

Utterly adorable. I love that Ruby oozes with enough kindness and compassion that there is even enough for a chair. And I love it even more that you felt comfortable enough to play along. You're so good together, you and Ruby (and your chair).

FridaWrites said...

Precious!