Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And Now A Cold

As a wheelchair using, tall toilet needing, reacher for socks kind of guy, I'm here to tell you that there is nothing more disabling than having a cold. I was doing fine but was struck down on Sunday late in the day. Suddenly there was that dryness at the back of the throat, I ignored it, it didn't go away. By morning my nose ran faster than I have in years. Is that irony? Who the freak cares?

I managed to get a few emails from work done, read a few pages in my book, but mostly just sat under my blanket and waited for health to beat down the nasties - so far it looks like the nasties have the upper hand. So, curled up and miserable I stayed in all day.

I'm not one to brave it and go into work when I'm sick. I don't like the idea of infecting others. I love sharing but there are things that you need to keep to yourself. Joe was lovely and ran about doing the chores and shopping that needed to be done. I think, primarily, to get away from my sneezing, snoozing self. Can't say I blame him as, when I looked in the mirror my nostrils looked like they had been ravaged by rats. A fun look.

So all in all, I'd rather deal with legs that don't walk than a nose that runs.

11 comments:

Jannalou said...

Did you take some Buckley's?

I take it at the slightest hint of a cold, and rarely does the cold settle in after that.

(I know it tastes awful, but it really does work - truth in advertising for once!)

theknapper said...

Rest and get well.

Belinda said...

Stay in the Magic Housecoat and drink lots of green tea! :)

MC Mobility said...

Bless your heart. We've had the crud going around the office too. At least you are smart enough to stay home. We've all been here with cold sores and pink eye and raw nostrils. Best part is we are hiring a new person this week, so we've been scaring our applicants with our Night of the Living Dead impressions.

Lots of rest. And if that doesn't work, try my MawMaw's hot toddy. A mug of hot bourbon with a squirt of honey and a splash of water! Or was it a mug of hot water with a squirt of honey and a splash of bourbon?..... I'd go with the former.

Jen said...

It's so easy to forget just how truly miserable a cold is until you get one again. I hope that you get better soon (and I second the Buckley's. I think that I get better just so that I won't have to take it any more.)

Kristin said...

There is nothing worse than a Spring cold. Feel better soon.

ivanova said...

Feel better! There's nothing like grief and mourning to give you a truly awful cold. : ( Hope the cold is gone fast.

Shan said...

Luckily you've got lots of blankies. Rest well!

Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg said...

Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Dave, notice you didn't post yet today. Certainly no pressure, I never know how you manage to post so regularly/early. Just hope you're okay and that your cold hasn't taken you down today. Layer those well-loved blankets and get well!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

I've checked in several times today for my daily dose of "Rolling". I hope that several doses of cold medicine are making you feel better and up to blogging soon.

Sending you well prayers.

Natalie