Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Father



In my humble opinion I think the two most important and powerful words in the Christian Bible are, 'Our Father'. I believe that the use of the word 'Our' is of incredible significance and importance. 'Our' is a word of inclusivity, it is a word that understands the concept of 'all'.

Whenever I was told that I did not belong, could not belong, that God's heart did not have the capacity to include me, I rested my battered faith on those two words 'Our Father'. They are words that challenge me when my heart leans towards bigotry or it's daddy self righteousness. They are the words that remind me of the goal of every movement I have belonged to, every march I have walked in, every dream I have had.

Our Father.

Inclusivity and welcome.

Bigger.

Family.

I have always believed that we are different persons but one people, that we have a diversity of appearances but one soul, that we have a complexity of wants but one set of needs.

When first told that I, as a gay man, did not belong, it did not ring true to me.

Because I had said, 'Our Father'.

When first told that I, as a disabled man, needed salvation, it did not ring true to me.

Because I had believed in, 'Our Father'.

When first told that God's heart embraced bigotry and countenaced prejudice, it did not ring true to me.

Because I had prayed the, 'Our Father'.

Today Barak Obama becomes president of the United States of America, as a Canadian I welcome the flow of hope that wafts warmly across our frozen border.

Perhaps today we all understand a little bit more the power of that one singluar word ... Our.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, you need to stop this. My laptop can't cope with any more saltwater. Today is a beautiful day and hopefully a small step to a world where all truly does mean all, where bigotry and intolerance become distant memories. I read some of Obama's policy statements on disability and certainly thought the rethoric was good, hopefully amid all his other challenges he can deliver on these also.

Andrea Shettle, MSW said...

I live right outside of Washington DC but will be watching all the inaugurational events from the comfort of home. Apparently there were already huge crowds of people waiting to get onto subway trains from way out in the suburbs waiting to get into the city well before dawn! Not even counting the crowds already in the city! I'm not surprised that some of that excitement is seeping across the border!

This is a letter I wrote to Obama after election night to thank him for mentioning people with disabilities in his election night speech and explaining why it means so much to me that he did so: http://reunifygally.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/thank_you_obama_disabilities/

And, "Anonymous" had mentioned Obama's Disability platform -- this was one of the key reasons I voted for him.

And, people from around the world can write letters to Obama on whatever subject (including, of course, disability) at http://change.gov/page/s/ofthepeople ... or at least, that's the transition web page. I imagine there may be a new one at some point after inauguration.

Belinda said...

What can I say but, "Amen."

This is a day when history is unfolding with a sense of hope.

Ettina said...

Too bad I never felt that sense of acceptance - I was taught that God didn't like bad little girls who broke the status quo.