Thursday, January 01, 2009

Another Year Begins

Well, that didn't go as planned.

Yesterday afternoon we went over to the mall to see a movie and pick up some fixings for dinner. After the movie while Joe went to the washroom, I pushed myself over to the elevators and rode down to the level where the grocery store is and began pushing towards the store. I waited near the bottom of the elevator for Joe and then we went in to shop. I pushed myself through the store determined to give myself a real workout in my chair.

We got home and made a pasta dinner, sauce from scratch, and settled down to watch some television. We had been invited to a party in the building but it didn't start till nine. Given that I typically am in bed at 8:30 it felt kinda cool that we were keeping 'grown up' hours. I settled onto the couch comfortably snuggled under a blanket.

I woke somewhere near eleven. The televison was still on and Joe was slumped in his chair softly snoring. There is nothing so delicious as a sleep in front of the television. I wondered, for a mere second if I should wake Joe up, if we should try to make a few minutes of the party.

Then closed my eyes.

Somewhere near two Joe woke me and we made our way to bed. I'm guessing that New Year's happened, but it happened without us.

And I'm surpisingly ok with that.

4 comments:

Belinda said...

Ha! We went to bed at 10.30, snuggled up and sound asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow!

I was awake at 6.00 though, so I think that is a wonderful way to start a brand new year.

Happy New Year dear Fat Chewers!

Anonymous said...

Well my evening was kinda of similar - was suppose to be with friends and things went askew and was in bed about the same time as Belinda. Woke up at 2 am feeling quite refreshed until I checked and found my son was still out. A couple text messages and an hour later found myself driving in my pjs to pick him and his buddies up. They claimed it was the best New Years ever (meaning girls and alcohol). I bought him a $7 bottle of spumante - sweetest and cheapest in store and he thought it was the best champagne in the world. Everyones home, safe and tucked into bed. It is a Happy New Year. So with coffee in hand and the neighbourhood and home blissfully quiet I wish all a Happy New Year.

Heather Simmons said...

Ah! Dear Dave, I think it's an age thing. Rick and I were just thinking about how, as kids, we used to beg to be allowed to stay up...and now all we want to do is to snuggle up and go to sleep!
We went to see a movie and came back and sat in our garden...temperature of 39 degrees with a strong wind blowing warm air over us (only in Australia!) and we waited for the old year to blow out and the new year to blow in...and it did!
We're giving thanks for an old yeqr that brought us more than we could have imagined or hoped for and for a New Year full of possibilities we can't yet imagine.
Have a fabulous year Dave...
kindest regards to all
Heatherx

Carleen said...

Yours is a familiar story to me, as it has been quite a few years since Ali and I have managed to stay awake long enough to ring in the new year. We conked out while watching a movie that the soon to be son-in-law brought over especially for us. Oh well, there's always next year!