Thursday, March 28, 2013

Finally, Blood

Ruby was walking beside me holding my hand. We were on our way to the subway, she loves the subway, last Saturday and were chatting. Ever since she was little she has enjoyed me telling her 'Ruby stories' of things that had happened or that we'd all done together. Belinda and Susan may remember watching me tell a Ruby story, while holding Ruby, during their visit to us up at the hotel in Gravenhurst - they can attest to the fact that Rubes gets totally lost in the story. Well, she's older now, 6, and she still likes the stories. The 'dinosaur poo' story is one of her least favourite favourites. As we travelled north, after the two girls had raced to push the button to call the elevator and then the push the button inside the elevator, I thought I'd tell her a story about sharing. I asked her if she wanted to hear a new Ruby story, one I hadn't told her before. She eagerly agreed.

I told her about one Christmas when we were all together, her Mom and Dad and sister and brother. Joe and I had picked up a pair of beautiful cowgirl boots at a store in Manchester's Trafford Centre. We'd carted it all over England looking forward to giving it to her at Christmas. Well, the gifts were all opened and there was one left, the cowgirl boots. She opened them and saw them and actually gasped! She hugged them before trying them on and finding that they were too small. She looked at them, hugged them again, and walked over and gave them to Sadie saying that they would fit her little sister and that she thought that Sadie would love them too. She was as collected as she could have been - and she went on to have a wonderful fun time, all of us together.

When I finished the story, I told her how proud I was of her that day, she was so kind and so generous to her sister. That's the way sisters should treat sisters.

Once I was done she said, "I know what you are doing."

I was caught.CAUGHT!!

She then said, I want to tell YOU a Ruby story. I eagerly agreed. Then she told me a long story involving a laundry basket, a swinging door, her toenail accidentally being ripped off and blood, lots and lots of blood. She told the story like a practised story teller. She modulated her voice, she had dramatic pauses, she was working to bring the story alive. Without wanting to seem immodest, I'm pretty good at telling a story, I'd told her a lot of stories, she was working to really TELL the story the way I tell a story. It was awesome to listen to. Ruby telling me her first purposeful Ruby story.

"Wow," I said.

"That's a good story," she said, "there's blood in it."

Passersby must have wondered what was going on seeing a big old man and a tiny little girl laughing wildly while crossing the intersection.

So there you are folks, finally, a blog with blood in it! Some of you must have been waiting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My my Dave,

Ruby has so much potential. She is a great and smart girl!
I love that your blog finally has blood without all the implications of a bad accident :-)


On another note, since you do not seem to get my emails:
I woul like to mention two books about people with disabilities in them to you; the first one is "The fault in our stars" by John Green, the other one is "Me before you" by Jojo Moyes.

The firts book I loved reading it spoke deeply to me. The other book is right now aggressivly marketed with a television spot in Germany. So I downloaded it on my ithing last night and I read it. I hated me before you and I still dont know why. It hurt reading it. If you want to I can send you both books after easter. Might be something for your book club?

Julia

Dave Hingsburger said...

I will go and buy these books today Julia, it's so weird I saw that 'The fault in our stars' book yesterday when in the bookstore. I know they have it. Thanks for the recommendations and thanks for offering to send them. I've been thinking about the book club recently and had chosen the paperbark shoe ... but now I've got more to put on the list.

Anonymous said...

Dave, the fault in our stars was given to me by a very good friend who told me the story reminded her of me and made her cry. But reading it is somehow encouricing and I dont know why.

Me before you is somehow simply utterly utterly sad and it hurts me while reading it. Maybe other people might put into words what I can not. This book in itself seems wrong...

I hope you get what I want to say with that recommendations.

Thanks for the fast reaction. Want be online the next two weeks because I am on holiday.

Take care
Julia

Susan said...

Yes, I do remember that day in Gravenhurst, and yes, I can attest to the fact that you had that little girl's rapt attention. You had her in the palm of your hand - and gobbling up every single word..

What you didn't mention (and I don't think you needed to) is that she had you in the palm of her hand too, your very being grabbing on and holding tight to every little sparkle that emanated from those beautiful brown eyes.

Everyone should have an Uncle Dave to tell them (insert name)-stories... :)

Princeton Posse said...

Thanks Dave, I needed a "good" story today.

wendy said...

Ya know, Dave, I've been wondering what was missing on this blog and now it's so clear. How could I have not seen it! Gore, blood, toenails. How obvious. ;-)

Belinda said...

Ruby melts my heart. You know how when God gives a gift it is always "the very best" of whatever it is? Well he gave you the best pair of little girls in your lives and them the best set of grownup friends. :)

Yes, you do tell a very good story, an art I admire greatly. And it sounds like Ruby is soaking up the skill. :)

"Mike" said...

If it's real, as far as I'm concerned, it's a living and breathing thing. That's why we say, "fight tooth and nail." I think the book club idea is a good one, Dave. Still taking it slow and day-by-day. Realizing that this geezer needs to exercise daily again! Thanks again for letting me crash. You and Joe are beautiful people, from my perspective. Can't wait for all that beautiful green grass come spring. Peace and access once and for all.