Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Brief Update

Some of you may have noticed that I've not posted for a few days. I don't think I've gone this long without a post in well over a year. I arrived home on Thursday to find that my computer no longer had Internet access. After talking with the COMPANY on the phone and turning off the modem then turning on again, several times over nearly two hours, they decided that something was wrong. I remain convinced that the 'unplug it, now plug it back in' strategy is just a ruse to make you feel like you are getting assistance. Anyways, an appointment was set for Friday evening, they didn't come. Then an appointment was set for Saturday morning - first thing. They didn't come.

After many calls over several days, frustrated yelling on my part, patronizing responses on theirs, the technician guy showed up. Didn't yell at him, I have never understood yelling at a clerk because you are mad at a store policy, so I never punish someone just doing their job for the behaviour of those that didn't. He was nice, fixed the problem and was off. I was left feeling wrung out and drained. It was like I had to battle a battalion of people who didn't care that they didn't do what they promised to do and who felt like the solution to the last broken promise was to make a new one. I'd felt like I'd spent several days in the House of Commons. It was horrible.

So the computer's back and I've been spending my time getting all the work stuff done, just finished the last email now, just finished the last apology for late response, and now it's time just to update you. So here it is, I'm alive and well, I've got a computer that now works, and I'm exhausted from the experience of being a loyal customer.

Be back tomorrow with a regular post.

Shannon's Blog would be a good place for those looking for a thoughtful post. She's a wonderful writer who has much, much, to say, I loved this piece on 'intentionality'.

12 comments:

Glee said...

I did wonder what was up. I missed your posts and kept looking many times a day to see if you were there!
Glad they sorted it - so annoying.

Anonymous said...

Just glad to know that your health is good . . . and that it was something as "simple" as a computer problem. I know the frustration . . . and am sorry that you had do endure being a cog in a large wheel that spins on whether you are there or not!

Anonymous said...

Am so pleased your are back and well, was getting concerned! Anyway the main thing is you are well and you computer is fixed. Sorry to hear you had to deal with broken promises, such awful customer service!!

Andrea S. said...

Thanks for the update, Dave -- I did notice the absence and was just hoping it wasn't for some more serious reason. Glad to know it was just the computer, even if you had to deal with all that hassle to get it fixed.

Colleen said...

Dear Dave:

Thanks for the update. And here I was picturing you and Joe kicking back and relaxing somewhere nice though I do admit that there was this little nagging worry that you were not posting because something was amiss. Glad it was only a computer and bad customer service - as frustrating as that is!

Colleen

First Lee said...

You realize they tell you to turn the modem off and back, because most of the time it works? You probably do. I'll still hit submit, though.

Ettina said...

"I remain convinced that the 'unplug it, now plug it back in' strategy is just a ruse to make you feel like you are getting assistance."

As daughter of a tech support guy, I can assure you that turning something off and on again *is* a valid strategy. It resets everything to the standard settings, and neatly solves anything that happened due to random fluctuations. I have seen many problems in many different electronic systems that were fixed by turning it off and on, to the point where that's always the first thing I try.

Dave Hingsburger said...

Hi all, I'm thinking that 'turn it off, turn it on, might be something to try -- but seven or eight times?? It was the only thing that seemed to be done for 90 minutes. Other than being told that the line was fine ... but it's done.

Belinda said...

I missed you but thought that you were just sanely taking a break. So glad you're back!

Tamara said...

Well, um, I've been camping with very little internet access since Thursday - and just popped in to catch up ... and I really thought it was going to take me longer than it did! I'm glad you're back - and restarting your computer 8 times is definitely overkill :-) -

Kristin said...

So glad you got your computer back up and running before the DTs set in.

Lori said...

I noticed your absence and was worried too but I told myself that you have no obligation to any of us. I'm always just thankful that you take the time to post daily. I was worried all was not well though and it is good to know it was your computer that was ill and not you.