Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Big Day in our Neighbourhood

On this the 23rd of October in the year of our Lord 1952, Joseph Victor Jobes was born in the small town of Ocean Falls in British Columbia. For 39 of his 56 years, Joseph Jobes has lived with me. In celebration of Joe's birthday today, I give you, 10 facts about Joe that you probably don't know.

1) Beyond having somewhat bad knees, Joe's primary diagnosis is that he has a disability in the understanding of pop culture. If he could organize life his own way, he'd only ever listen to classical music - he doesn't understand the difference between pop, rock or alternative. It's all just noise to him.

2) Joe has a disability antenna that's just as finely tuned as my own. If someone says the 'r' word in a television show or movie he let's out an audible harrumph and looks at me like I'm supposed to personally seek out and bitch slap the actor or actress who used the offensive language.

3) Scenes really bother Joe. He usually just wants me to stay calm and be polite in the face of circumstances that I plan to be anything but calm and polite. However, when someone sets him off, he sees me like a personal pit bull and he'll give me 'the nod' which means - 'go get'm'.

4) Joe's difficulty with being culturally out of step goes far beyond his thinking that Coldplay is tossing snowballs in winter. He also thinks that slapstick is a genius form of comedy. He can be reduced to tears by a pratfall. Poor dear.

5) When Joe gets tipsy, his sense of humour becomes incredibly ideosyncratic. He tells jokes that only he gets. Then when everyone looks at him with confusion, he gets the Jobes family, 'what's wrong with the rest of you' look on his face.

6) He won't admit it, and you'd never guess it if you met the two of us, but Joe has a quicker temper than I do. His eyes flash and his tone changes, it's lightening quick. He's got everyone fooled though. His quick laugh and gentle manner, which is his public face, leads people to think that he's the long suffering partner of a curmudgeon like me. Not so, people, not so.

7) When I give my lectures, I tell at least one story a day that has a private joke in it, meant only for Joe's ears and that I know only Joe will get. It's my way of acknowleging him, personally, during a day when we are surrounded by other people.

8) Joe likes to think he is handy. He owns an electric drill. When he gets to use it, he struts around like a lesbian on a construction site. But in fact, like me, he is pretty inept with home repair. He's getting better at assembling things that come in kits, however.

9) Most people who know us are surprised to learn that Joe's last name is Jobes - not 'and Dave'. We've been together for so long that he's Joe 'and Dave' and I'm Dave 'and Joe'. I like that.

10) After 39 years of living together, Joe can still surprise me with an insight, delight me with a joke, inspire me with courage. I'm a truly lucky man.

So please, Fatters all, join me in wishing Joe the best birthday that it's possible for a dignified man of 56 (a year older than me) to have.

Cheers!

43 comments:

John R. said...

Please extend a huge B-Day greeting to Joe!!!! Happy Birthday from the Catskill Mountains of New York!!!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!

Lucky you live in Canada - if you lived here "down under" in Australia your birthday would almost be over!

I hope you both have a great day, and feel properly celebrated Joe.

I also hope that you get your chance to post a similar list for us on Dave's next birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful day - and lots of blessings for the upcoming year!
Susan Ludwig

wendy said...

Happy Birthday, Joe! May the coming year bring you many happy surprises. Kick up your heels today...have a drink or two and tell a joke no one gets! ;-) I loved number 7 in Dave's list, about the private joke he inserts into his lectures for you. How sweet to be given such a personal nod in such a public place.

jypsy said...

Happy Birthday Joe!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!! Great list!

Cynthia said...

Have a great birthday Joe! Wishing for many more for you, as well!

little.birdy said...

Happy birthday Joe!

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday Joe - my fellow Libra. Oh and you have to know I don't believe Dave at all about you having the temper - nice try Dave! Have an amazing day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe.


CAM

Anonymous said...

Happy birhtday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Joe-o
Happy birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuu!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Joe!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Joe! Hope your day is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe !!!!
from Toni in VA, USA

Caroline said...

Many happy returns of the day Joe!
and point 3 made me laugh - my late husband who was the sweetest guy on earth and used to make little old ladies go aaah! with his smile but who actually had a worse hair trigger than me if his own were threatened (sound familiar?) used to say "I like being married to you, it's like having a big dog" because I barked at people on his behalf - I miss him more than I can say and I am so so glad you are dave and Joe, or Joe and Dave and more - that you have the good sense to know what you have x

Belinda said...

Happy birthday Joe. I too, have the rest of the world fooled! :) Hugs from England!

Teresa said...

Best Wishes Joe on your special day!

Teresa from Victoria!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!!
Hope you have an amazing day!
Michelle

Shan said...

Oh, many happy returns, dear Uncle Joe! I have an electric drill too but as neither a gay man nor a lesbian construction worker I don't know quite what to do with it.

My best wishes to you on your birthday and I wish I had your phone number so I could call you and regale you with a rousing rendition of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow".

After all, nobody can deny that.

XOXO
Shannon
PS: Dave, love the new comment format.

clumsy ox said...

Happy Birthday, Uncle Joe! Many happy returns of the day and all that.

I personally think of Uncle Joe as one of the funniest people I've known. It takes quite a person to laugh as readily and loudly as he. Just the words "Uncle Joe" bring images of laughter and frivolity in the Jobes house.

I miss that.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Joe!

Unknown said...

HaPpY BirThDay JOE!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Joe has a temper? Never! Sorry Dave don't believe that for a minute.

Happy Birthday Joe, have a fantastic day!

Myr

Susan said...

Happy Birthday, Joe!

I too have an electric drill. And I'm handier than my husband. He can't do a thing without me and my drill. (Not to mention my opinions on how it should be done. :) )

Anyone whose drill is important enough to them to be mentioned in a list of "ten things about them" HAS to be a kindred spirit... But we already knew that, didn't we? Even without the drill!

Many happy returns of the day!

Suelle said...

Happy birthday Joe!

theknapper said...

Happy Birthday Joe!

Tammy said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!! I hope it's a fabulous day for you full of peace and happiness.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear Joe!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

YAY! Happy birthday Joe!

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday Joe! -from Connecticut

Liz Miller said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Neil said...

Happy Birthday, Joe!

Hugs,
Neil

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday Joe! I think Dave should let you write someday so you can tell us ten things we might not know about him!
I am so impressed with the longevity of your relationship. You both have to be some seriously special people for that to happen.
I love the comment about the lesbian with the hammer or whatever it was. I do feel pretty good when I pretend to be mechanical! It must be a universal lesbian trait. Happy Birthday from Texas.

Heike Fabig said...

And another belated happy birthday from Australia to you, Joe. Hope you had a lovely day... Dave is the blogger, but we all know you are just as much part of the whole story.
(I don't have a drill but i do have a sander - now there is a piece of equipment every woman needs!)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!! Sorry it is a little late.. but you guys could always go out tonight and celebrate Joe's birthday again? :)

-KR

Anonymous said...

I tried to post yesterday, but for some reason it didn't work --

Happy Birthday, Joe! Albeit, a day late.

And, Joe, if you ever start a blog about your own perspectives on life, I'll read it!

I also agree with gracie1956 -- some day, you should nudge Dave aside and tell us 10 things we don't know about him!

And I agree with Heike -- even though Dave has been the sole blogger here since the start of Chewing the Fat, you're so very much part of the story too!

Happy birthday again, Joe; hope it was great.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, Joe.

Skylex said...

Happy Birthday Joe, I hope you both have a great day!

Brenda said...

I know I'm a bit late to the table here, but I wanted to add my best wishes! Joe - hope it was a wonderful birthday! May you enjoy many, many more.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Belated birthday wishes Joe from LinMac, Dublin, Ireland.
It's nice to get to know you in more detail Joe.

39 years together!....now that is worth celebrating!

Anonymous said...

Apologies on the lateness

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!!!!

Yet another birthday wish for Down Under :)

Looks like you had an awesome day!!

And I agree- you are as much a part of this blog as Dave is, and yes Dave should wheel aside for a day :)

Tony Osgood said...

I've had man flu! laid on my back, coughing, feeling sorry for myself, woeful! Sorry I'm late, but hope you had a great birthday, Joe. And Dave- very, very funny, very, very touching.