Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sweaty Bells

Image description: A cut out heart of a cartoon weight lifters hands on a bar reaching through the floor fallen through.
Some of you will have noticed that I haven't written a post for a few days now. I've got a couple of nice emails asking me if I was OK. I realized then that I should have written a brief explanation. So, here I am, a little late, but explaining.

First, I'm fine.

Second, quite simply my schedule has changed and I'm having trouble with adjusting all the rest of what needs to be done in the morning into a typical and working pattern. I'm thinking about some options and may have hit on something that might work. We'll see next week.

The change to my schedule is one that has already shown me benefits. I typically exercise for a half hour every morning. A bit of aerobics and bit of stretching and a bit of weight-lifting - although a young friend of mine told me that a 5 pound dumbbell isn't a 'weight.'  That routine has now, because it was time to kick it up a bit, become an hour. Yikes.

Now, consider, that I get to work at 7 in the morning, I'm on the bus around 6, it takes me an hour to shower dress and get breakfast, and I get up an hour before that to do my hour exercise. The blog time just disappeared and, given the fact that my days are busy right until I get home and once home I'm tired, I couldn't seem to make that time reappear. But, I'm going to try. I had three rants for last week and couldn't rant them - you can imagine how frustrating that was.

On Friday I went to a training and, as is typical, Joe came along to help me if I needed it. And I did need his help. But, and this matters, not as much. The floor was carpeted. I was in my manual chair. The men's washroom was a long way from where I was seated. I was able to easily push myself to the bathroom and back. I needed help with the doors, and I needed help with some other stuff, but not with pushing back and forth. All the way. No problem. Literally no problem. It was easy. I was astonished.

So, that extra half hour of weights, in which I'm up to 8 pounds dumbbells in the last couple of days, has made a real difference.

That's what's happening.

I'm fine.

And stronger.

Let's see how next week goes for blog posts.


wheeliecrone said...

Good. Whatever works for you, Mate. We just worry when we don't see you around(your blog).


ABEhrhardt said...

Exercise is crucial to improve what you can.

I'm doing the same - the PT gave me some to strengthen the back, and I'm spending a lot of time in pain afterward.

But it means the exercises are working and something may be improving - if I can manage the pain, I certainly need the results.

Good for you.

Blog when you can - life first.

Anonymous said...

Missed you, but so glad it is for such a "strong" reason. Good for you. So much discipline!

Girl on wheels said...

There have been a few occasions recently when I have actually stopped abruptly because I'd just realised that I am wheeling myself with ease on a surface I have struggled on in the recent past. This actually happened on a fairly steep slope once, to my partner's amusement! It is incredible how much of a difference a tiny bit more muscle can make. Congratulations on your muscle-building success, I hope you keep it up.

Elizabeth said...

I'm delighted to read you can see such results from changing your exercise routine already! What motivation to "keep on keeping on"!