Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ring Around Shoes

I remember, back in the day, how difficult it was to get used to a new pair of shoes. I wore Birkenstocks for most of my adult life, and, even then, getting a new pair threw me for a loop. Literally. I'd trip over them. I'd get blisters in them. It would seem to take forever to get the hang of hanging ten in my sandals. Thus, sitting down in a wheelchair, had a side benefit. I was no longer confined to shoes. Hosanna and hallelujah!

A week or so ago Sadie was having trouble with her shoes because they just weren't comfortable on her feet - she decided a ride with me on my wheelchair was the better choice.

An hour or so later Ruby announces that her feet are tired in her shoes so she made the, obvious, decision - she decided that it was time for a ride in my chair.

Joe, after standing for awhile on sore feet made a decision - he decided to rest his tootsies by sitting in my manual chair when I was riding in my power chair.

So it seemed to me that the chair had benefits that, though people would rather be dead than in a wheelchair, aren't often acknowledged. In this case, freedom from feet binding.

But then ... today ... I bought a new ring. I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I decided that I'd buy a ring that was on sale from a local store that's going out of business. Once paid for, I slipped it on my finger and out the door we went. Well, that's almost what happened.

Yikes.

My manipulation of the joystick on my chair changed completely. I had to actually THINK about what I was doing and where I wanted to chair to go. It was EXACTLY like wearing a new pair of shoes. Well, without the blisters.

For the next day or two, I'm going to have to try and get used to how the joystick feels with my new ring on.

And for the next day or two, I'm going to feel sorry for my two footed walkie friends who have to go through this over and over and over throughout a lifetime.

Poor dears.

6 comments:

Kristine said...

Funny, I see my chair as helping me to justify and enjoy new shoes... "My feet are extra high off the ground, and more prominently visible than most people's. Ergo, I NEED cute shoes!

If there's no other size option, I've been known to buy shoes that are slightly too big, but you can't tell by looking at them, and I'm not going to walk in them, so....

I also love that I can keep shoes looking clean and new FOREVER. I rarely have to toss a pair of shoes.

I have some adorable, bright yellow Toms. They make me all kinds of happy. And I couldn't figure out why everyone else on earth was wearing Toms, but I seemed to be the only soul alive with the yellow ones. Someone finally explained it to me, "The rest of us would get them dirty within a day!" Oh. Poor dears. ;)

Dave Hingsburger said...

Kristine ... precisely ... shoes are great for looking at, but walking in??? There's another story enitrely.

Tamara said...

Kristine, I am truly envious. I bought some adorable sandals while on vacation a few weeks ago, and I am obviously very hard on shoes - the fronts are wearing very badly and the sole is loose.

Connie said...

I can empathize with your difficulties in manipulating the joystick with a ring. Whenever I needed a bandaid on a finger, suddenly inserting and removing a contact lens took thought—a task that had totally automatic after so many decades. Perhaps it's good for us to think about what we do, but what a waste of brainpower.

Anonymous said...

I'm on my fourth powerchair. Breaking in a new chair is almost harder than easing the new store fit out of new shoes.

Each chair has a slightly different joystick, different programming, different brainbox, and most important, different me. The first month of a new chair is hard on entryways in my house. The worst part is getting on the city bus, which has around 10cm maneuvering room on good days. After the first month, things are good for another 5 − 7 years.

wendy said...

Nice ring...just thought I'd say!