Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blog News

I'm never sure if any of you are interested in little bits and pieces of blog information. So, I've decided that, in case you are, I'll put up blog news every now and again. Here's a few pieces of news:

Rolling Around in My Head is going to make an appearance in a textbook on writing. It's called 'A Writer's Resource' and it's published by McGraw-Hill Ryerson. They wrote and asked me if they could put a screen image of my blog in their book. I wrote back and said that I'll say 'yes' either way but asked them if they were going to refer to the blog as a 'good' example or a 'bad' example. They sent me the text as it will appear in the book - it's a good example. Rah! One thing that pleased me is that in the image that will be shown in the book the 'about me' is readable and the text about Joe and I living in Toronto appears there. I hope that some kid studying in college and dealing with issues around sexuality or weight or disability will see that picture and find this blog and along with it ... maybe a little hope. I know that if I'd seen that in my creative writing class all those years ago, it would have made a huge impact on me. The impact will be less now, of course, but I hope it matters.

The other news of interest (maybe only to me) is that my blog stats show that this blog has now registered over a million page views. We're still a while away from having a million visitors, but still, it's pretty cool. I went back and read some of the first blog posts a long time ago and, wow, have I veered from the course of what I thought I'd be doing with this. Best laid plans ...

Today's post follows . . .

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing, Congratulations Dave. I'm sure it will change the lives of many people.

Anonymous said...

YOWSA!!!! Cogratulations Dave!!!!

Just Jess for now said...

Very cool! Congratulations!!!! :)
PS: Thank you for not using Blogger's Word Verification as it is inaccessible.

Anonymous said...

That is terrrific. Your blog has made an impact on so many. A lott of my conversation start out in the morning with....."did you read dave's blog today?"

Anonymous said...

Halleluiah

Everyone should be born into this world happy
and loving everything.
But in truth it rarely works that way.
For myself, I have spent my life clamoring toward it.
Halleluiah, anyway I´m not where I started!

And have you too been trudging like that sometimes
almost forgetting how wondrous the world is
and how miraculously kind some people can be?
And have you too decided that probably nothing important is ever easy?
Not, say, for the first sixty years.

Halleluiah, I´m sixty now, and even a little more,
and some days I feel I have wings.

(Poem by Mary Oliver coming to my mind while reading your last post and your blog announcement. Julia)

Belinda said...

Wow, congratulations Dave! How exciting is this? Woo hoo!!!

Noisyworld said...

Woop :)
Of course it's a good example, how could it be anything else? ;)
A million hits, fantastic, give yourself a pat on the back :)
Whether it's been the route you expected, or not, "it's the journey that counts"- as many people wiser than me have said :)

Unknown said...

Congrata, that is big big news. Kudos!

Kristin said...

Huge congrats on the recognition in the book and an even bigger congrats on having reached a million page views.

Andrea S. said...

Congrats on these!