Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Eve

The car will soon be here and we will be off for a couple of days. For many years we went away to big cities for New Years. New York. San Francisco. Vancouver. Montreal. We partied hard and drank way, way too much. It was fun. Then. Now we are going away to a hotel that is impossibly quiet, perched on the edge of a lake, surrounded by snow. We like going there because it's the perfect place to nap. Our life has changed.

We will ring in the New Year, me sound asleep, Joe watching CityTV's celebration. On New Years Day we will come home, stopping for tea with friends on the way back. It's a sedate New Year's but we like it. I think we like it because we both know that next year will bring with it new challenges and new goals. I have been spending the last couple of days making plans for next year. There are a couple of huge projects that I want to undertake, work that will involve many others, a huge team. There are a couple of personal, individual, goals in there too. So, rest seems to be a good way to bring in the year.

I don't make resolutions any more. They seem to be based on eradicating personal failures rather than attempting to change the world, to change people, to change hearts. I am probably too accepting of my personal failures, I probably should make resolutions, but I'm busy.

It may sound grandiose to say I want to change the world. But I do. I wish everyone did. I know that one person can't change the world but one person can try. I desire to try. I seek as someone very famous once said, to change the world, not to be changed by it. I still have a vision of what could be. I have moments where I feel that we are close to understanding that 'unity' is the most important aspect of community.

So I risk to out with my childish belief that a bunch of 'one person's' who wish to change the world - will. At Vita, I have seen what happens when one 'community' of people works to achieve something great - greatness happens. I believe that's possible on a larger scale. So, heading to the country to rest cause I've got to get up on New Year's morning shouting: Bring It On 2011!

7 comments:

theknapper said...

happy birthday Dave.....I know it's sometime around now.

Dave Hingsburger said...

theknapper, thanks so much for remembering. My birthday was ten days ago on the 21st. The day of the blog carnival (the one that landed with a thump - I think it might be the wrong time of year to do a carnival) was the big day for me.

Tracy said...

Dave & Joe,
Happiest of New Years!

Sher said...

Dave, I believe that when you influence one person to change, the world IS changed. You do that daily. Changing the world is not too lofty a goal. Godspeed to you. Have a good rest and all the best to you and Joe in 2011.

Princeton Posse said...

Coffetalk, you got it right. Changing the world is not too lofty a goal. Let's aim high. Happy New Year Dave & Joe and to all RAMH readers.

Heather said...

Happy New Year Dave and Joe.

One day at a time, one person at a time, one change at a time.

I got a good vibe about this

Heather x

Clay said...

Happy New Year. Good luck on those huge projects!