Sunday, February 23, 2014

MacGyver

I've written about our local pub before, about how welcoming the people there are, about how they make space, in a small space, for me and my chair. Joe and I decided to go there yesterday because we'd won 25 dollars from scratch and win tickets and we wanted to spend it on beer. Then we can tell everyone that we spent the weekend drinking away our gambling earnings. It will spice up our 'go to bed at eight' image. And by the way, we still got to bed at eight.

We got comfortably seated at a table and chatted with a few of the regulars while watching replays of that day's Olympic events on the screen. It was fun. We hadn't been to the pub in a long while and it was nice to be back, soaking up the atmosphere. I had my tea in front of me, bought with money other than the 25 we'd won. Boozing and gambling is one thing but lying is another. We were having fun.

Suddenly standing beside me is one of the fellows who works in the bar. He's really friendly and a pleasure to chat with. He came to tell me that there was a 'Out of Order' sign on the disabled washroom because some water was coming through from the melting snow on the ceiling BUT, he emphasized, he'd jerry-rigged the situation so that I'd be able to use it with no problem. It's out of order for everyone else, but it's working for me. I looked at him with some awe, he didn't look like the kind of guy who could MacGyver a disabled loo, but there you are, looks can be deceiving.

I relaxed into my chair, sipped on my tea, and steeped in the sense of welcome.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Made me think of another show from the 80s ...

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.

Anonymous said...

"... and steeped in the sense of welcome." such a wonderful phrase.

:-)

Julia

Anonymous said...

So nice that he thought of it BEFORE you had to ask.
Sharon

Glee said...

:)