Saturday, September 29, 2012

Simply Floored

We sat in the car for almost ten hours, crossing state border after state border. We had an audio book which kept us entertained and distracted for a fair bit of time. I had several work calls and even more emails, all of which kept me busy for a good portion of the time. But, being read a book and being called on for work aside, ten hours is still a very long drive.

We are staying for the weekend at a hotel directly across from a Whole Foods Market with a wonderful buffet of vegetarian items. It was raining, just slightly, when we pulled in so we braved it and rushed into the store. First stop, as would be obvious, was the washroom. Then, oh and then ...

THE FLOOR!!!

It was a floor that deserved ... I don't know ... poetry.

It was a floor that deserved ... I don't know ... flowers and candy.

It was a floor that deserved ... I don't know ... L<3ve ve--="ve--">

I never understood floors, until I became a wheelchair user. I didn't notice the plush of a carpet, the difference between tile and wood, painted or bare concrete. I do now. Some floors are just made to roll on. Some floors seem to make me stronger, make my push firmer, allow my turns to pivot professionally. Some floors are made for wheelchairs.

This was one of those floors.

We went from one side of the store to another. We went from produce, to dairy, to kitchenwares, to grocery, to the frozen aisle. Everywhere I turned, I turned with ease. The floor invited me to explore.

After hours of sitting, driving, listening, answering emails, I got a floor completely worth the trip. Sometimes having a disability means experiencing things that others simply don't notice ...

... like floors that deserve ... I don't know ... a blog post.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when something is done well, well - it "floors ya"! I'm glad there was a little treat after the long ride. I tell ya - some of that deep pile in rugs may be nice on the tooties - but oh boy - it is like rolling uphill in the snow! Ugh!

Beth said...

Yup, some floors are really, really nice.

The floors I find most infuriating are carpets with a great deal of grain to them. Bad if it's really easy to get somewhere... but terribly hard to get back!

Nan said...

Ha! I love this post!! It calls me to see/think/experience joy in a different way that I have before! Thanks Dave! I'm going to notice the floors today. That's my intention for the day! We are off to dance! WE MISS RUBY! n

Kristine said...

That's awesome! Whole Foods is definitely one of those very customer experience oriented stores. One of the few places where grocery shopping seems fun. And yummy food... Glad the floor was part of the experience. :)

As a power chair user, I agree about floors, but my passion is doors! One day, I was just fed up with the electronically modified doors in my life (home, school, car) not working right, and the other doors being too difficult to open, so I perpetually felt locked in or out.... And then I noticed our school library's doors. I never have to think about them, because they give me zero problems! I can open them easily, no modifications necessary. I can come and go from the library whenever I please. So that day, I went into the library, rambled to our friendly librarian about how much I live their doors, and then just re-entered and exited a few times, just because I could!! :)

Utter Randomness said...

Kristine, as a user of cane and sometimes crutches, I have to agree about doors.

CJ said...

I am temporarily disabled. I have severe spinal stenosis and a herniated disc, all repairable by surgery. I am the recipient of a disabled placard for my car. I cannot believe how many people use disabled parking spots as drop off and pick up zones, as well as waiting zones. At my son's high school, a perfectly abled woman was waiting in a disabled spot. I completed a U-turn. Both of our windows were down and I inquired if she was disabled. The woman pretended not to hear me. It was only when I picked up my cell phone and advised that I was calling the police did she regain her hearing. This is awful.

CJ said...

I see I should have left my comment on the previous entry. Dave, please move if you are so inclined.

Dave Hingsburger said...

CJ

I have no idea how to move a comment, I wouldn't worry, most of my readers keep up on comments. Thanks,