Saturday, March 10, 2012

Get Ready Saint Patrick, Ruby's Working the Parade

Ruby joined us this weekend and I'll write about that more later. We've got lots of plans. Here's what's up for first thing Sunday.

Tomorrow we'll all join Vita for an hour or so as we march in the Saint Patrick's Day parade where we will be handing our our new Word's Hit cards. This make three different ones that we have. This one is more informational and conversational, this one asks for conisdered change. Ruby loves handing these cards out, she personally handed out at least two hundred at the last gay pride parade. I asked her what she would tell people if they wanted to know why it was important that they read the cards. She said, unprompted, that she would say, 'I'm five and I know that names hurt. Sometimes adults forget.' (Yeah, like we forget Ice Cream and Whipped Cream ...)

We as Vita participate in parades like this so that we can have fun, be part of the community, be proudly and openly 'there' AND to get the message out. Here are our new Word's Hit cards. (This was our last artist mock up, the final cards have the the 'D' words at the end all the same size to see the other two, click on links above.) If you can't easily read the text on the back of the card, here's what it says:

Sticks and Stones…
we know that words really
hurt. People with disabilities
experience discrimination
and bullying as facts of life.
There is something you
can do to make a difference
– it takes just a bit of effort.
Pledge that words like
‘r@tard’ and ‘sp@z’ are no
longer ever used to degrade.
Pledge to create safe places
for all. Language matters.
Diversity, Difference,
Disability – respect them all

So if you are in Toronto, pop down to the parade, get a card if we have any left ... maybe one from Ruby herself. We're only going to be there for about an hour of the parade because we've got other plans - but more on that later.



 

10 comments:

Bubbles said...

Love the new cards! I had some of the original Words Hit cards made and gave some to both of my kids for when they had opportunities at school. This week, my daughter asked if she could have more, said she had given all of hers out to school mates and I was so pleased. She said the cards really made a difference and fewer people were using those words!

John R. said...

Great revision!! Dave, I also have been highly sensitive to the use of the words; idiot, moron, imbecile and a few other former "grades" for people with intellectual disability. I have started a campaign within my organization and family to stop the use of those words as well....I think that given this great awareness with eliminating words that hurt we can make the world much nicer! Love the new cards!!

Dave Hingsburger said...

John, we wanted one that we could use in situations like the parade, it's about information, not confrontation like the other card. We now have, and will keep producing, three different cards. We'll be handing these new ones out at the conference you and Joe are doing up in Toronto, so you can get some then!

ivanova said...

The new cards look great! I had one of the old ones that I kept in my wallet and I would show it to people (but then take it back because I only had one.) I think they made a difference, except to one person who just said it more to piss me off, and I don't see that person much anymore. At some point I either lost it or gave it away for keeps, so maybe I should try to make some. I like this non-confrontational version too.

CapriUni said...

@John R --

I, too, want to stop using words like "idiot," "moron" and "imbecile." But there are times when I feel the need to criticize another's thoughtlessness, particularly when their actions hurt. So I've chosen "ignoramus" -- which is from the Latin for "without knowledge," and, to me, implies a voluntary state, where someone is happy to be small -minded, and unwilling to learn about the world beyond the end of their own nose. ...To me, those people deserve to be on the receiving end of verbal stings.

John R. said...

Thanks CapriUni....

Ignoramus will suit those occasions..did not know the origin and benign nature of that word....I struggle with the rampant use of these other "formerly -used- as- clinical "words that seem to be used such vast levels. I get concerned with mass ignorance for their true meaning and etiology. I guess we are beginning to strike them from the lexicon with conversations just like this!! Thank you...

CapriUni said...

John R --

Indeed. In looking up the word again, online, to double-check my memory, I learned that it was the name given to a character in a 17th century play -- an uneducated lawyer -- and that it was once a legal term which juries would hand back when the prosecution failed to provide evidence to support their allegations. So -- yeah. It's meant for people who choose not to use knowledge that's available to them. It also produces a satisfactory growl when muttered between your teeth. >:)

Nan said...

Send some home with Ruby! Jessie will want a handful (and me too) . . that is if there are any left over. so might some of her dance friends?

Belinda said...

Good for little Ruby! I just flew to England via Newark Liberty Airport in New Jersey where I had breakfast at Ruby's Diner. Delish!

Dave Hingsburger said...

Nan, I'll make sure that Ruby takes some home.