Yesterday I got some wonderful advice about scooters and power wheelchairs, I'm going to check out sites today. It got me wondering, thinking I might dare to share. So, to all the other wheelies out there have you ever experienced these wheelchair mishaps ...
1) When using your wheelchair without the pedals on, you swing too quickly and run over your own feet. I do this with amazing regularity - mostly in my kitchen wheelchair because I just use it to move around the kitchen. It's tall so my feet just dangle - I'll make a quick turn and suddenly - OWWWWWWW.
2) Heading down a ramp using gloved hands for brakes, you let the speed build up, it's exciting, it's fun, oh my god there is a small lip at the bottom, your chair catches and the whole back lifts off the floor .... I've never been thrown out of the chair but I've come close. The worst thing is looking up and seeing the stares of horror on the faces of everyone around - because they chose that moment to watch you.
3) Wheeling into a toilet stall only to find that the toilet has overflowed and now your tires are sitting in toilet water and you just want to gag ... you try to back up while keeping your hands away from any wet - it's impossible but you try.
4) Hunkering down in your wheelchair to let slip a silent fart, only to have the seat of your wheelchair act like a snare drum - then having everyone steadfastly ignore you, assuming that passing public gas is 'part of your condition poor dear'.
5) Finding your dressing gown caught in the tires, being unable to move without strangling yourself, feeling like Houdini on a bad day trying to get out of the gown without ripping it or pulling your arm out of the socket.
6) Unintentionally backing into someone, running over their toes - I'm not counting the times that this happens more or less on purpose (admit it, you do it, I know you do).
7) Coming down a steep grade and you put on the brakes but as much as your hands are trying to slow the chair, suddenly the rubber moves independantly so the rims are stable but the rubber rolls - the breaks aren't working and your heart is pounding because you are going way faster than you think is fitting. Who'd have thought the rubber would move?
8) Entering into a place that you think the wheelchair will fit only to find the area is too narrow, now you've got to get out, backward, through people lined up behind you. As much as you say, excuse me, they are so busy 'not noticing you' that they don't hear you either.
9) It's pissing down rain and when you go to get in the chair it's soaking wet, you try to dry it down, but it's raining, all you can do is plop down in a wet chair and feel the cold, wet water soak into your back and butt.
10) You decide to show off you're wheelie skills and make a quick turn and in doing so you knock down a display of paper towels. Because you were showing off - there were people watching. But it's ok cause no one ever blames you for this kind of thing - now they get to show off 'helping'.
Am I missing some? I hope so, I'd be tickled to read others experiences in 'da chair'.