Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cars, Snow Banks and Panic

PANIC!!!

We were nearly home when suddenly a thump hit the car, there was a wrenching of metal, the sound of breaking glass as the back window shattered and a hard crunch where our car was thrust into a frozen, icy, snow bank. When it all stopped we took stock of how we were. No obvious signs of injury. Joe got out of the car to see what had happened and how badly the car was damaged. I heard his voice, he was being calm, as he had to be.

Me?

I was in a panic.

Would our car be drivable?

If it wasn't, how would I get home? I've only got my manual chair and we were 'close to home' for a car but 'miles from home' for a manual wheelchair.

Was my chair damaged?

I take really good care of my manual chair because it's irreplaceable, they don't make it any more. It fits me perfectly. It serves me well. It's travelled the world with me. I turn to assess the chair. It's covered in broken glass. I can't see if it's been scrunched.

How am I going to get back from work each day?

Joe picks me up from work every day. It's our routine. It suits us. It works well. What if the car's repairs take a long time. What do we do? How do we organize our time?

We can't afford to buy a new car right now. What if it's written off? What then? What are our options? We need the car to get me around.

I called 911, they tell us to get information from the other driver and then take the car to the collision centre. I tell them I have a disability and am worried about the driveability of the car. They say to get a tow truck. I ask how do I get home? They say the police don't attend these things. I say this isn't helping and hang up.

They call back.

I'm told that though they don't normally do this kind of thing, since there's a mobility issue they will send a police car. Great. Someone to help me navigate getting home if I can't get home. The police car does not come. We try moving the car and it seems to be drivable, at least for the distance home. I call 911 to cancel the police car, the one that didn't come.

So that's what happens when Friday the 13th comes on Wednesday the 10th.

10 comments:

Mary said...

Goodness, that sounds horrible. I'm glad you and Joe were uninjured.

Liz Miller said...

I am so sorry. I hope everything ends up better than you fear, though I know it's already worse than you hoped.

clairesmum said...

Glad you and Joe were not physically hurt. It is scary to everyone, this type of experience. I can see that having mobility issues makes it extra challenging. I remember breaking down with my toddler in the car, and begging the tow truck driver to take us with him from the side of the highway. I was terrified to get in a truck with a strange man, but more terrified to be left behind. That was 25 years ago, and I still feel it in my gut as I write. Thinking of you both, and hoping the car is quickly mended and that the WC is fine.

Dory Zanella said...

So sorry this happened to you. Hope the chair wasn't damaged.

Debbi T said...

I've recently struggled with mobility issues and the hardest thing for me is the anxiety that accompanies life's unexpected events. I am pleased to hear that you and Joe are safe.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I am so sorry! I very much hope that you are okay and that your chair is not damaged. I also think it is terrible that they didn't really think you getting home safe was their concern. :(

Sending loads and loads of wishes for much better days ahead.

--Littlewolf

Shan said...

Yeah I was thinking of all too that when you posted you'd been hit. At the best of times a car accident pulls the safety rug out from under you, never mind when you've got mobility issues. Hope the bug is quickly fixed!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you weren't hurt and hope that all is fixed quickly.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how one's life can change in an instant. How the chain reaction starts in the brain almost immediately. How the problems grow as each new reality hits you. I do hope all goes well and you are all back on the road soon.

painting with fire said...

Hope you both are ok and car and wheelchair too - scary stuff, especially in the cold!