Wednesday, November 23, 2011

RAIMH Announcments

Many of you wondered, after I wrote the post about the increased experience of accessibility, how I was finding the more social and political aspects of disability here in the United Kingdom. I wanted to write a post about that very issue and I wanted to share it as broadly as I could. So, while it will appear here tomorrow on Rolling Around in My Head ... it's up now at Canada.com so drop by there if you want a preview.

I'd also like to apologize for being so poor at responding to comments. I've been trying to be better about that. However there were several times I wanted to respond but I've found it challenging just keeping the blog going with daily posts and haven't had the time to do more than read and ponder the comments. I love getting comments, please be assured that they are all read. Evidence of this is shown in the fact that the blog for Canada.com was written as a direct result of a discussion in the comment section. I'll be home soon and be able to drop in and chat with you in the comment section then. Thanks for understanding.

Today's post follows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave,

just read your post on Canada.com.

It speaks directly out of my soul. It is what I experience in this society. All my fears kindled by the idea that if I do not "contribute" I am devalued. And sometimes even if I know how that feels devalue myself.

Like being allowed to live on this planet without pain and suffering has a price-tag.

It hurts. (Not your post, but knowing that I experience what you experience and knowing that others feel that way too...)

Julia

Anonymous said...

Does your post ever ring true! I know even with the talk of assisted suicide/ euthenasia, etc. in Canada (where Andrew and I live), it makes me wonder about the day when I may be incompacitated, and someone else can place value on my life, and I have no power whatsoever to say or do anything. I know our experience has been that the cost factors with helping an individual with disabilities is one main focus (not the needs of the individual). I don't like the idea of someone, someday deciding whether my "existence" is of value or not. The fact that "I am" should be enough. (regardless of race, religion, disability, sex, etc.)

I'm glad that We ARE.

~ Elizabeth & Andrew

Belinda said...

We are all vulnerable, I'm afraid, because no one can predict who is next or when we will fall into the category of useless. It is scary to hear of any life being devalued like this and so blatantly, but it's been going on for a while, with the elderly being encouraged to slip away from life when it gets too much, in Europe, but who knows for whom it is "too much?"