Saturday, December 19, 2009

Morning Tea

I am sitting here, right now, feeling very loved.

We are all creatures of habit, I believe. Every morning my first beverage is a cup of tea - Joe, he has a Coke Zero. Pretty much every morning, I am the first up. I do not make myself tea in the morning for several reasons. First, the kettle is a bit difficult for me to plug in given how I bend. Second, I would have to turn lights on and that would disturb Joe. So, I just wait until he is up and then the tea is made pretty much first thing.

Well, this morning I got up and I was really wanting my tea. It was just after 5:30 and I know Joe won't be up for at least an hour. Oh well. But as I rounded the corner and saw my desk, I noticed that Joe had left me a little gift. Last night, I was in bed reading for a while before he came to bed. I guess during that time he made a thermos of hot water, put my favourite cup alongside the thermos on the desk as a final touch he similarly set out a tea bag on a tea bag saucer.

All I had to do was open the bag put it in the cup and pour water over it. I did this before even reading a single email. And now I'm sitting here basking in the glow of both my tea and the idea of having been thoughtfully cared about.

Love is something you do.

11 comments:

Roia said...

What a truly lovely and loving way to begin your day. I too am sitting with my morning cup of tea (and my spelt porridge) and listening to a report on NPR about why Danish people are so happy. The researcher notes the very large importance of social ties and social connectedness. I think your story expresses that rather nicely (even though you're not Danish).

Enjoy the love!

what_the_heck_of_that? said...

This is one of the sweetest and most loving things I've read about in a long while. That Joe of yours is gold, Dave, GOLD!

Kristin said...

You guys have an incredible relationship. That kind of loving and caring is something we should all aspire to.

Andrea S. said...

Of course, YOU show love and caring, too, by being careful not to wake Joe too early!

This is such a sweet story ... outside my window there is a blizzard blowing a pile of snow onto my balcony (this storm, in face, may become a major record breaking storm for my metropolitan area). But in here, I'm feeling warm ... thanks, Dave, for sharing this story!

FridaWrites said...

That's really nice!

Gary Miller said...

A really nice, touching story. I, too, like my early morning cuppa - in fact, my day doesn't (can't) start without it!

Wish I had someone thoughtful enough to leave me out the makings the evening before.

Thanks Dave!

theknapper said...

you have a keeper!(As if you didn't know) I remember hearing the saying that love is a verb.......how true.

Anonymous said...

Today is 12/19/09 9:27am
Hi Dave and Joe I'm so happy to of meet you to conf. with Robin Few mouth ago at Satmento.You like Tea but I like Coffee in the morings Glade to met you.My Husban sleeping he work at night so i'm leting him slep this moring. What Joe did for you was so nice have a Happy Xmas from Marie Blair

Anonymous said...

tears. thanks for sharing!

Princeton Posse said...

That's what I tell my husband..."It's the little things that add up".

CJ said...

I never totally believed words. Words can be empty.

Actions tell the truth.