Thursday, December 31, 2009

C -------- ouch

I'm sitting here at the computer with a blanket over my shoulders, a hot tea by my right hand and a box of Kleenex within easy reach. Of course I've come down with a cold, I've got time off. That's how it works. As a result I've stayed in for the last couple of days and will again today. I had two engagements today, I've cancelled both, regretfully, and am staying home to simply try and get better. I'm sure by the time Monday rolls round, I will be fit as a fiddle and ready to begin work in the New Year. Rah.

So forgive me the short blog today, everything I try to write seems to come out wrong. I think differently with a stuffed nose. Maybe it's the lack of oxygen. What I'm going to do is curl up on the couch and try to conserve energy. It's our plan to try and recreate a meat and potato pie from Joe's childhood,complete with Belinda's Never Fail Except When Dave Uses It Pastry Recipe. I still remember going over to Joe's house when we were in Grade 12 and there being these massive, fabulous meat pies in the kitchen. We've been learning, this year, how to use faux meats a little better in our cooking and have been successful at a variety of dishes. This is a huge challenge.

So it's too the couch. Joe will be up in a minute and over breakfast we'll watch a few episodes of The Tudors and revel in the bawdiness and the lustfullness of King Henry VIII's court. This kind of television is just so much fun. We often watch it with one of us at the computer searching out various plot points to find out if they are real or fictional. We're surprised at the fact that we are completely not able to guess which is real. This is an activity that, then, is both fun and educational. No need to feel like it was Time Well Wasted.

Right now my whole body is listing towards the couch as if it had gravitational pull on it's own. So, fare well for this year, see you next year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR - may you all have at least a little time on the couch.

13 comments:

Andrea S. said...

Feel better fast! And, enjoy your time on the couch!

Cindy said...

May your old year go out with a sneeze and the New Year come in with good health.

Liz Miller said...

Happy New Year! I hope that your cold leaves with the old year.

Belinda said...

May your pastry turn out the flakiest and tenderest ever! :)

I found my own cold this week a delightful reason for couch time. I know exactly what you mean about the fuzzy brain.

Take good care; rest, and enjoy the very naughty Tudors.

FridaWrites said...

I've had couch time for a few days because of severe hip and ischial bursitis--that's right, a pain in the butt--sometimes I am one, sometimes I have one. But we're having friends over here tonight rather than getting out and I've been playing lots of new games with the kids. Here's to hoping we both feel better very fast!

Kristin said...

Happy New Year Dave and Joe! Hope you feel better quickly Dave.

Colleen said...

Happy New Year Dave and Joe!

I hope you feel better soon Dave.

Colleen

AkMom said...

Happy New Year Dave and Joe.
Dave, get better fast. Enjoy the couch time.

wendy said...

Happy New Year, Dave and Joe! May the coming year be filled with wonderful surprises.

Don't forget, Dave...for that cold...push the fluids! ;-)

theknapper said...

Take good care.....some of the colds going around take more than a couple of low key days...hope you're feeling better soon.
Happy New year everyone.

Anonymous said...

amen to that!!!!!!!!! xxxx

Blog editor said...

Happy belated New Year, and I hope you are feeling better. I was very pleased to get Season 3 of The Tudors for Christmas! Watched it all in no time, so now I'm going back through Season 1 and 2. And I do the double checking of the plot lines too .... I knew Princess Margaret Tudor hadn't married the King of Portugal (or the Duke of Suffolk)!

Blog editor said...

Oh, I forgot ..... since you like The Tudors, you'd probably love to read "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel (last year's Man Booker prize winner). It's a fictionalised account of Thomas Cromwell's life up to Thomas More's execution - it was a fabulous read for the holidays.
Jill