Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trip

I recieved an email from someone saying, 'I can't tell if you are having a good time because I don't read of you visiting pubs ...' I can see the confusion because I'm on a trip to the UK, but I thought I should take a moment and outline what that means. It means we are here working, I'm lecturing in 18 cities in 20 working days. Our only days off are Saturday, as Sunday is a travel day to the next destintation.

The daily routine:

up, pack, load car, breakfast, meet people who lead us to the lecture hall

lecture, unpack books, sell books

pack books, load books

drive to the next hotel

unload car, unload me, eat, watch 20 minutes of tv, read for a bit sleep

up, pack, breakfast, meet people who lead us to the lecture hall

Not a lot of room, especially with drives up to 4 hours after a long lecture day, for going on pub crawls and seeing the sights.

But this is not to complain. We love this adventure. We meet people, have vibrant conversations, I hope I leave them with ideas, I pick up ideas to bring home. We were talking yesterday that we work harder this time of year than any other time but it still feels like a break.

You may get a pub story at some point, but it'll have to be accessible and we'll have to be awake.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Sounds like a good time to me! Not all good times (maybe not most?) occur in pubs.

Kristin said...

Wow, what a schedule. I'm glad you are enjoying it but I think it would exhaust me.

Belinda said...

And you forgot to mention writing blog posts! :) I think, unless I was reading too fast.

I so understand how it is still a wonderful time. There is nothing more energizing than making a difference and bringing inspiration and ideas to others.

We miss you over here!

CJ said...

Since when does visiting a pub equal fun? You can have fun without pubs!

Shan said...

Tamara, CJ, you just don't know my uncles. Pubs = natural habitat.

CJ said...

You are 50 or over. I feel your pain.

I tell myself I can rest when I'm dead.