Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wondering again ...

I wonder why I only ever know one or two words of the songs that get stuck in my head.


I wonder why neighbours who complain of group homes aren't just called bigots and ignored.


I wonder why half the ramps into buildings are so badly kept that they are no use at all.


I wonder why none of us say what we really think any more. I wonder why so many of us have given up thinking any more.


I wonder why people choose to work within the disability field and then resent the needs of people with disabilities.


I wonder why disphobia isn't seen as signficant as racism or homophobia.


I wonder why people who would never go in my wallet find it acceptable to reach into the bag on the back of my chair - without permission.


I wonder why the general public are often nicer than the professionals trained to assist.


I wonder why our neighbours dog always shits on our side of the road in the morning - training or just preference.


I wonder why the internet is so accessible and so many people's hearts aren't ramped.


I wonder if blogging will ever make a lick of difference in the real world.

9 comments:

Mark Pathak said...

Hi Dave

You ask "I wonder if blogging will ever make a lick of difference in the real world".

I remember being told as a child that "to wonder was to begin to understand". I didn't understand it then but I do now. You will be amazed at how many people do read your blog and get understanding from it!

Keep the faith.

Belinda said...

I can help with the last "wonder" of your world. Yes!

Your blog posts make us think, challenge us, we talk about them, debate them, work the thoughts through.

Besides me, they challenge my friends and at least one team that gets them posted in their communication book.

Can't help with the neighbour's dog though. :)

Angelslake said...

Are you on antibiotics too? That's exactly how they make me feel. I can't wait to finish them and get back to the way I usually feel, which is 'everything counts'. I usually blog secretly. I started it to help me understand how to create a space in the world for my daughter. Turns out it had all kinds of other effects too. Even antibiotic moods count or I would never have posted this to you.
Love to you both.

Jodi said...

"I wonder why people choose to work within the disability field and then resent the needs of people with disabilities."
I wonder this ALL the time!

Anonymous said...

Well Dave, your blogging does make a lick of difference in my little world. It recharges my battery so that I can go into my classroom of 5 elem school students with mult disabilities and give them my best. That makes a big difference to me.
Thank you,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You have been honored with the Thinking Blogger Award. Kindly go visit:
http://qw88nb88.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/ooh-shiny/
andrea

Jenn said...

Thank you for all your valuable thoughts and insights. I heard you in Fort Collins, CO and I admire your compassion and devotion to people with disabilitites. There are many times, I am challenged by what you say and ask myself how I can change the lives of the people I serve. This isn't easy work and yes, I do get frustrated with some clients. But honestly, the majority of my clients I adore. The cause of some people working in this field that shouldn't arises out of being in a certain field too long. Either they need a change within the field, they need to work more directly or less directly with others, or they like to play savior while resenting the role at the same time. I've seen too many people enter the field to make themselves feel better rather than helping the people around them feel better. Your ponderings are important for all of us to reflect on. Thank you for your honesty.

Karen Putz said...

"I wonder why people choose to work within the disability field and then resent the needs of people with disabilities."

I see this all the time...

Ruth said...

"Ramping hearts" - what a beautiful image. Thanks for this post.