Friday, May 30, 2014

Both Sides Now

I got to have fun at work yesterday. A nervous kind of fun, I'll admit. Vita is partnering with The Centre for Behavioural Health Sciences and Christian Horizons to put on a conference called 'Both Sides Now.' It's a conference where people with disabilities may come but they must bring a support provider; support providers can come but they must bring a person with a disability. The point of the conference is that we all have stuff to learn.

The two topics chosen for this conference (it's going to be the first of a series) are Self Esteem and Boundaries. So while people with disabilities are learning about having good self esteem, support people are learning about promoting healthy boundaries. Then while people with disabilities are learning about having, and respecting, good boundaries, staff are learning on how to encourage positive self esteem.

See.

Sounds fun.

My job is to start the day and then to help end the day as well. I get to do the first 15 minutes of the whole crowd together.

I've thought about this a lot.

Finally, last night I sat down at the computer to create the presentation I want to do ... and I had a blast. Inclusive keynotes are different to write and I've done them, maybe four times. They present unique challenges and I love the extra freedom that I have in creating the talk.

So now, right beside me at the computer here, sits the paper upon which I have written out what I expect to do.

It will fly, or not, succeed or not, but I know, however it goes - it's gonna be a blast to do.

Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

-KR

Collen said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck - and have a blast.
Alicia

Princeton Posse said...

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I know it will be fab because every time I have heard you speak and everything by you that I have read is fabulous.

Belinda said...

I wish you more than luck-I wish you the full Dave Hingsburger rocket launcher effect! In keeping with Alicia's "have a blast! :)