Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Elevator Ride

Ruby stepped on the elevator before me and watched, thoughtfully, as I guided my manual chair on board. She asked if she could push the button, and I said that she could. Before I could tell her which number to select, she simply pushed them all, that way she was sure to get it right. As there were only three choices, I didn't think it mattered enough to comment on. She returned her gaze to me.

"You have a big wheelchair," she said.

"Yes, I do," I said.

"You are big," she said.

"Yes I am," I said.

Pause for thought.

"I like it when it all makes sense," she said.

I've been chuckling over that sentiment ever since.

I like it when the world makes sense too. I like when things go together the way they should. To Ruby, big people have big wheelchairs - that makes sense. It makes sense to her that people fit into their own worlds. It makes sense that different people have different things. It makes sense that difference exists and difference is accommodated. In the world of a older than four, younger than five little girl - big goes into big, small goes into small - the existence of big and small are simply a given. In this world wheelchairs are like coats, or shoes, they come in different sizes, just like the people who use them. In this world it is a relief to know that 'fitting in' makes sense.

I agree with Ruby, I like it when the world makes sense.

When there is joy that everything is going to plan.

Yes, I like it when the world makes sense.

I just wish it did a little more often.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Ruby stories!

Anonymous said...

I too love Ruby stories and I like it when the world makes sense (which isn't very often!!). Have a nice weekend Dave and please don't stop blogging!!

Glee said...

yes Dave!

mot par mot said...

Children see the world with such marvelous clarity. We're wise to let ourselves learn from them! :) Thanks for this story. Ruby is a delight!

Anonymous said...

The wheeliecrone says -
Amen, Dave. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Ruby story!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

We love Ruby stories too!♥

Anonymous said...

Ruby sounds like such a blessing in your life. I hope she never loose her sense of the word.

Kristin said...

Ruby is a smart little girl and I love hearing stories about her.

Robyn said...

If more adults would listen to children the world would be so much kinder. I love Ruby!

Noisyworld said...

I love it when the world makes sense, I love it when a plan works and I love it when we get Ruby stories :D

Colleen said...

Dear Dave:

I am also a fan of Ruby stories - and I like it when the world makes sense too. Ruby is wise beyond her years.

Colleen

Sadie said...

I giggled. Stories that combine truth and happiness are the best. (Which is why Ruby stories are great.)

Dave Hingsburger said...

Thank you all for your comments. I was a bit nervous doing a Ruby post after my nasty email but I need to remember that 'one is just one' ... I forget that sometimes.

LoriJ said...

Dave,
This Ruby story reminds me of one of my favorite memories of a conversation with my daughter. She was about 3 years old, and we were outside playing one day, she was on the slide and all of a sudden it was like she had an AHA! moment. She looked at me and said very seriously "Mummy, did you know Daddy is brown?" I chuckled to myself and answered that Yes I had noticed that. She was quiet for a minute. I could see the wheels turning. Then she said "But, you are pink." "Yes, yes I am." Another thoughtful pause..."Hmm, I guess that is why I am brown with a little bit of pink. and Lexi (her sister) is pink with a little bit of brown. We are all different colors, isn't that cool?" Now I had an AHA! moment. "Yes, it most certainly is!"

Out of the mouths of babes!

#19 said...

That's a fantastic story, I'm going to have to read more Ruby stories.

Brooke, Cessna, Canyon & Rogue said...

I wish to be back in a time when the world just made sense. A time when you didn't have to worry about the little things or about what others thought. Thank you for sharing this story, it reminds us all of how precious those little moments in time can be.

Nan said...

and sometimes we need to listen to Rudy to make it all make sense!

Nan said...

oopss! typo. Who's Rudy? Ruby!

Louna said...

Yay for a world that makes sense and a Ruby story! I can't comment very often for technical reasons, but I love reading the stories about her (and the rest of your blog as well).