Sunday, October 10, 2010

Goodyear for Good Guys

So we were at the Opera. Well, the opera in the Carousel Mall Movie Theatres in Syracuse. We'd just seen a Wagner opera when, co-incidentally, a Wagnerian tragedy struck. I picked up my footrest and the clamp flew into bits and pieces. I panicked for a moment but then Joe spotted a couple bits under the seats ahead of us. We waited until the place was free and then, with the help of an usher and a flashlight, found three of the four pieces. With a bit of magic and a bit of prayer, we got the footrest back on. Suddenly the rest of Thanksgiving weekend and the rest of the lecture trip seemed long and arduous. I tried not to cry but wanted to.

On our way back to the hotel, I noticed a 'quick oil change' place. We pulled in and spoke with one of the mechanics there. She looked at the pieces and said that they didn't have anything that would work for us. But, not to worry, she said as she pointed over to the Goodyear Tire place just behind them. Again we pulled in and I spoke to the guy who'd come out from the office to talk to me. I showed him the problem. He took it away and a few minutes later a young man with hands that looked like they worked very hard every day came and spoke to me. He said that he helped keep his Grandfather's wheelchair in good working order and thought he could get it fixed for me.

It was fiddly work but he really applied himself. At one point he came out and was concerned that it wasn't fitting right. He offered to get a couple of washers to make it a bit more secure. It was only then that Joe showed me another piece he'd found but didn't realize it was for the chair. We were both embarrassed after the fellow had already put a lot of work in, but I insisted Joe go and give him the part. He was relieved to get it, a few seconds later he was carrying the fixed piece out to me.

I asked him how much and he just waved and started to walk away, I called him back and gave him a few dollars to buy a beer. I appreciated his generosity with his time but people should be paid for the work they do. It's wonderful to find kindness and patience and understanding in places you'd least expect it.

So all of you who live in the Syracuse area, I totally recommend the Goodyear Tire place just below Carrier Circle on Thompson Road. They don't know about this recommendation, didn't ask for acknowledgement. But I'll tell you good people work there. They deserve the plug.

It's the least I can do. Thanks again Goodyear Guys!

13 comments:

Susan said...

I'll be in Syracruse next weekend. If I have a chance, I'll stop in and tell them they're famous!

Belinda said...

What a blessing. So, I see Joe likes to make people work for a living. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of the Rolling Arounders!

Brenda said...

I love a good 'warm-fuzzy' story in the morning! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tamara said...

This post made me think of something I read that Joni Erickson Tada said in an interview with Larry King. I've thought about it several times when reading your blog and wondered what your opinion would be.

He asked if it was annoying for her to have to depend upon other people, and she said this, "Well, you know, I have an interesting perspective on depending on others. I think it gives people chance to serve. And I'm not so much big on independence, as I am on interdependence. I'm not talking about co-dependency, I'm talking about giving people the opportunity to practicing love with it's sleeves rolled up. And my life is pretty much the context to which people can assist me. I mean, it gives me such joy to be wheeling up to a door at a local mall that doesn't have one of those automatic opener, and say, pardon me, could you open that up for me. And then some gentle likes opening up, say, you're a good boy scout, thank you, sir. And I think that builds bridges between people with disabilities and able-bodied."

Andrea S. said...

Alas, I probably won't ever have a chance to give them my business (don't live in Canada, don't drive, don't ride a wheelchair). But it's still great knowing about this place.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the fab people at Syracuse!

Sher said...

Tamara, thank you so much for sharing Joni Erikson Tada's words. I think she has an interesting perspective on the subject of dependence and one that we can all learn from. I work with adults affected by developmental and physical disability and have learned that almost everyone that I work with can serve in some way. I have seen how valued people feel when they have met a need or given to someone in even a small way. I'm all for interdependence and appreciate the reminder. Bless you, Dave, for giving the Syracuse gentleman a way to serve. I'll bet he went home feeling good about his day.

Casdok said...

I like to praise when praise is due too :)

Liz Miller said...

One of the congregants at the church I go to saw that opera yesterday in a different movie theatre.

I love it when you give a shout out to folks!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he could fix it. A local welding shop has fixed my chair twice, when a replacement would have taken a week or more (if I could afford it).

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I know exactly where you are speaking of eventhough I reside in Canada. Glad to hear everythig worked out well for you and is nice to hear there were some willing and helpful people who lent a helping hand...there are still good people within this world.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Kristin said...

What a wonderful ending to a frustrating occurrence.

Anonymous said...

One for the good guys!