Wednesday, November 25, 2009

3

Just because I like things to come in three, and just because I don't have a coherent theme for today ...

One thing I like about being in England. Marmalade and toast. I do not eat marmalade at home in Canada because it tastes like orange rinds and sugar. When visiting England, I have it on good authority, God butters his toast with marmalade. It's a little treat every morning, I take the tiny jam bottle and pop it open and slather toast with a thick spread of pleasure.

One thing I like about a lecture tour is that every now and then something magical will happen. A connection will be made between myself and someone in the audience. It becomes clear early on that what I am saying is being deeply heard and deeply appreciated. Sometimes it seems like a verbal salve is going on to a bruised soul. Sometimes it seems like someone waiting for affirmation is receiving it. Sometimes I don't know what's happening, but I know that it is. This happened today in the workshop. About midway through the day I noticed a pair of eyes, that were looking at me but seeing self. At the end of the day a tentative handshake and a trembling 'thank you'. It matters that I matter. It matters that my words were heard. It matters that a connection was made - even one of the ethereal kinds.

One thing I'll never understand, on first go, is anything said in a Geordie accent. I have no idea what those people are saying but by God they speak with passion. But oddly, and no kidding, I met a guy with Cerebral Palsy who spoke with a Geordie accent and I've never heard a clearer word out of any one's mouth. Now that's just funny.

6 comments:

theknapper said...

I LOVE WHEN YOU'RE IN BRITAIN AND I'M ON THE WEST COAST AND ONE OF THE FIRST TO READ YOUR POSTS (I'M EASILY PLEASED....)

GLAD YOUR TRIP IS WINDING UP ON A GOOD NOTE.

Shan said...

Well in a way marmalade IS orange rinds and sugar.

But I only eat one kind, and it's transcendental and gorgeous, and it's Good Morning! by Shirriff. DO NOT MOCK ME. I have investigated marmalade with avidity and perseverence, and I can tell you this is the best kind, the ONLY kind, to buy in Canada.

It has lemon, grapefruit, and orange.

It is what the angels put on their hot buttered scones.

Baba Yaga said...

You know, I could have given you a jar of real (and homemade) marmalade while you were in Scotland, to take back to the land of sugared peel. Next tour, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Americans celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow. Dave, I just want you to know that one of the things I am thankful for is this blog.
This daily accounting of your life has become a morning staple for me. I enjoy starting my day with stories of your work, travel and Joe. Thank you for the wisdom, for sharing experiences, for laying bare your soul, for leaving me laughing some times and weeping others.
Your insight and compassion have inspired me in ways I can’t even explain.
So, I give thanks.

Gary Miller said...

The Geordie Version:
Hiya Dayvey, howya deein' man? Soonds like yave had a reet gud time ower heer.

Mak soore ya ave a reet gud couple a joornies inta spayce afore ya gan yem man. Ya've been a reet gud marra an its reet sad te see gan yem. But, ya gan with oor blessins and ta's man.

Translation:
Hello David, how are you doing sir?

It sounds like you have had a very good time over here.

Please make sure you avail yourself of two bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale before you go home.

You have been a very good friend and it is awfully sad to see you go home.

But, you go home with our blessings and thanks old chap.

Sorry I couldn't get to see you both; I would've loved to hear you talk. Maybe next time eh?

God bless guys.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave and Joe,

I spent the day listening to you (Bradford).
Thank you so much for making me laugh and cry; but mostly laugh.

It is a real acknowledgement to you that (despite the drugs and the number of people therefore in the audience that want to sleep with you), you can deliver so ... hmm...laquaciously. Did I spell that right? Who gives a shit. You know what I mean.

I have a daughter who is a bit younger than Ruby. What you said today REALLY hit a nerve with me. She is at that stage, I know her innocence will be challenged very soon. I worry about her and us as a family. Life isn't the happy clappy stuff we wish for a child. She will have to learn that. As we all do. I hope we have the... patience? And the machiavellian survival instinct that is sometimes needed to survive the 'normal' world.

I hope she will grow up to be a phenomenal human being because of the differences she sees as 'normal.' This is one of the things I hope for her. But. Hope is there.

Hope is such a wonderful thing. It keeps me going, and lies to me when I feel I can't go on anymore. Which keeps me going. Such is hope.

Anyway, I'm meandering. Perhaps due to the lack of sleep which is another 'gift' of a two year old. Joy.

Wanted to tell you I looked on Amazon in the hope (ha ha) that I could buy 'A Little Behind' second hand. Learnt that another book of yours I have is going for £70 second hand (A Real Nice But).

Decided I'm going to mug the person I gave my last copy of A Little Behind to, because it looks like that's going to be worth a bloody fortune!

Get em re-printed.

Choose Yellow.

Love to Ruby...

Maria
xXx