Sunday, October 25, 2009

60 Seconds

Tomorrow, Monday, I am going to be inducted into the Canadian Disability Hall of Fame. I've been given the schedule of events and it looks like it's going to be a very cool experience. I'm still a little in shock at being both nominated and accepted, I never expected to be in any kind of Hall of Fame for anything much. It's cool, too, because I'm being honoured for my work in the promoting the idea of healthy sexuality and sexual rights for people with disabilities as well as for my work in abuse prevention. As such, I'm being inducted in the Builder category. To be seen as a builder of the community to which I now claim membership is wonderfully affirming.

But here's the kicker. After being inducted I am given 1 minute to speak. That's 60 seconds. Man, that's a toughie. I've known this for several weeks of course and should have been thinking about it. But I approach problems by avoiding them for as long as I can. This works well at removing stress for a couple of weeks and then shooting it up for a couple of hours. Not healthy, not optimal, but it works for me.

So today I have but one job. I've got to write a one minute speech. I can fill a day, in fact several days, on a variety of topics, but filling one minute seems impossible. I wrote a couple of lines yesterday and read them to Joe. It took me about 5 seconds. OK, now I've got 55 more.

So if any of you have hints for what to say, I'm all ears. I'll probably still be working on this on Monday morning. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG! Fear just clutched at my throat ... time to stop and get to

8 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

That is fantastic.

Think of the "One Minute Manager" and you will have your speech.

wendy said...

Congratulations on being honoured! I have no suggestions for a 1 minute speech. I really hope you post what you do decide upon, though! Enjoy the day.

Belinda said...

I'm praying. God will give you exactly the words to say and they will be perfect.

Kris Stableford said...

There's always, "You like me! You really like me!"

Liz said...

Congratulations Dave! That is quite the honour, and I can't think of anyone more deserving! I'm sure that when the time comes you'll find the perfect thing to say!

Congrats!! :o)

Sonia Connolly said...

Maybe you could use this blog post as your speech!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dave! I'm sure your 1 minute will be just perfect.

Anjie
(Adams mom, Niagara Falls)

Anonymous said...

'From the heart' Dave is the only advice!
Enjoy and congratulations!
Love LinMac (Linda)