Thursday, November 29, 2007

Today

Today is the day.

I've been waiting for it. If you are a regular reader, you will remember that a while back I got another infection for which I was on IV antibiotics and then switched to massive oral dosages. When I get an infection, I get an infection. Then I developed, for the first time in my life, an alergy to an antibiotic and I lost all the skin of my palms, the soles of my feet, my lips, and ... um ... one other place. So the doctor did an immediate consultation and switched my antibiotics (and called me daily to see how I was).

The infection was slow to heal, as it always has been, but it's been healing. I first noticed this because the pain was lessening and I didn't need the pain medication any more. Oddly, I had a friend or two offer to buy the pills from me - apparently they have street value. I sometimes hang with a bad lot. For any law enforcement people reading, I didn't sell them - still have them.

Next on the healing journey was my return two days ago to wearing regular pants. I know I'm hugely fat now, but I was even more hugely fat a few years ago and I had two pair of pants from those days that I've never thrown out because they are so damn comfortable. Thank heavens I had them because the wide, wide leg was perfect for me as it put no pressure on the infection site.

Finally, today, I'm stopping the medication as the infection is all but gone. It will be a relief to be off them - mostly for psychological reasons. For the last few days I've been forgetting about the infection but am reminded several times a day as I pop an antibiotic. Now I can begin relegating this to the past and move forward.

It had been two years since I had an infection and I was so upset to get another one. But the medical professionals figured out why it came back and adjusted things so they think another is unlikely. Rah.

So today I celebrate a return of health.

I celebrate the fact that I live in a country with free health care.

I celebrate the fact that I have a doctor who calls me to check in on me.

I celebrate the fact that I have a life that I love and people that care about me.

It's going to be a good day.

I know it.

8 comments:

Andrea Shettle, MSW said...

Speaking as someone from a country where health care is very much *NOT* free--when it is available at all--I'm glad for your sake.

--Andrea
wecando.wordpress.com (Blogging poverty, human rights, and other international development issues among people with disabilities in developing nations)

Anonymous said...

Happy Thursday Dave!!

lina said...

YAY for a good day!
wishing you many more to come!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are having a wonderful day! We miss you back in Canada so hurry back!

KD

Anonymous said...

Ditto from other-andrea! (also from the country of Very Expensive Healthcare)

Glad to hear you're healing up over there.

Belinda said...

You're so right that there are people who care. I'm glad you're better and into your "slim" pants! :)

Kei said...

Raising my cup of tea to celebrate your health.
From one of those people who cares about you~
Kei

All 4 My Gals said...

I'm so glad you are on the road to full recovery! You WILL have a great holiday season. :) HUGS