Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Aw, Come On!

I'm hurting as I type this.

Aching all over.

No, this isn't a hangover from the 'thing' I had, that's just left lingering fatigue and lack of energy, this is something else. I decided this morning to get up and do my exercises. I hadn't done them since the first morning, when I learned in a kind of ugly, gooey, way that you shouldn't exert yourself to do a military press with dumbbells while having issues with diarrhoea. Anyways, I decided to get back to my workout. I typically do just over an hour and ... wow ... I made it half way through.

Just half way.

It's only been a week and a half off and my muscles, in that time, have atrophied out of existence. I found the weights really, really, heavy, almost like they'd put on weight during that time. I checked, they didn't. Once I started, sailing through the warm up, I thought I'd be good. But nope, as soon as I picked up the dumbbells, my body reacted with shock. 'You want me to lift that? For no discernible reason? No freaking way!"

I knew a few minutes into the weight lifting that I'd not make it the whole way through the workout. I decided to cut it back to the original 35 minutes I started with and just do that. I could barely make it through.

It's only been a few days.

Fat, now when that comes, it makes itself welcome.

Muscle, it seems, takes a powder at the first opportunity.

So, right now, my arms are sore, my shoulders are sore, my upper back is sore, hell, my fingers are sore.

And, I'm annoyed.

It's only been a few days!!

I call ... not fair.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Everyone who gets GI bugs gets wiped out..all the fluid loss is accompanied by changes in electrolytes that leave you weak as a half drowned kitten for a few days. Lots of veggies and potassium rich foods will help. And yes, fat does seem to arrive like an unwelcome long lost relative who just shows up one day and won't leave no matter what you do!
The nurse in me notes that you are well enough to use humor as you complain - that's a sign you are getting better! Clairesmum

Andrea Shettle, MSW said...

It may be that simply being sick (even if starting to recover) is sapping your strength. I remember some years ago being startled to see my ability to lift weights suddenly and (I thought) inexplicably drop one morning. Only later in the day did I realize that I was already starting to come down with a cold/flu: I realized in hindsight that, even though I was not yet sick enough to have other signs of illness when I tried to do my exercises that morning, I apparently was starting to be sick enough to lose strength because of it. Other signs of illness then evolved later in the day.

szera said...

The "Big Guy updtairs" did not consult with us when designing
our physiology...right!!
Next to the Swear Jar is Complaints for Upper Management. (It's neck in neck for the fill line)
My heart goes out to you! 💚

Liz said...

I was going to say what Clairesmum and Andrea did. It took me 3 months to be able to really feel normal after I had C-diff. Couldn't walk far, couldn't stand long, couldn't concentrate well.

ABEhrhardt said...

You are still better off (though you won't believe it until you're back to normal) than you were before you started. You have more muscles - now there's just more of you to be weak. But they will come back faster than starting from scratch.

Just be unbelievably kind and gentle with yourself, as you should always be anyway.

Listen to your body, don't damage it by rushing back to maximum effort.