Thursday, August 23, 2012

Red Ones

I relaxed back into my wheelchair. Joe was piling luggage up onto a stand. We'd arrived after a fairly short border crossing, tired and pleased to be in the hotel. It had been a busy morning. I had to get a bunch of stuff done at the office, write stuff, meet with people,, answer emails, phone this one, text that one ... a rush. Joe was doing the same getting banking done, packing suitcases, loading the car, driving the powerchair onto the van. A typical busy day before leaving for a trip.

My Blackberry beeped constantly on the three hour drive to the hotel. I thumb-typed some responses, designated others for later, scanned and deleted the rest. The phone rang three times and three conversations were held. In all that I managed to get in a game or two of 'Word Mole' which is a challenge to play in the car. Ted, our GPS, kept us company telling us where to go, literally, with his delightful British accent.

So, again, I relaxed back in my chair.

And ... felt something. A slight push back. A presence. An unseen hand pushing, right there, in the middle of my back.

I asked Joe to look into the little pocket on the back of the back of my chair. I never put things in there, ever, because it makes folding the chair difficult and, of course, I can always feel it.

I leaned forward so Joe could get his hand into the small, tight space. He said, "There is something definately here."

It rattled on the way out.

Oh my gosh.

SMARTIES!!

For those of you too lazy to click on the link, Wiki tells us that "Smarties are oblate spheroids with a minor axis of about 5 mm (0.2 in) and a major axis of about 15 mm (0.6 in)." Um, that's why some people have pay for sex. Let me make it simple, Smarties are little bits of coloured candy coated chocolate. Um, that's why I don't.

Anyways ... Smarties.

I won that box of Smarties at a shower at work. I won the "Match the Celebrity to the Names They Gave Their Kids" game. Well, I didn't win, I came in third, but I got Smarties and that's winning. Not Charlie Sheen winning, actual winning.

It was like life and my wheelchair decided it was time I had a gift.

And I got Smarties!!!

And no, Canadians, I didn't eat the red one's last.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why, it is like the story of "The Princess and the Pea" - except instead of a pea, it was smarties. And they taste much better. I hope you both enjoyed the treat!

Anonymous said...

Smarties are very good "cloud-busters"-enjoy!

Julia

joanne said...

what could make the day better? have a great one, thanks for sharing!

Princeton Posse said...

Hey Dave, Why did the jelly bean go to school? Because she wanted to be a Smartie!

Andrea S. said...

The US equivalent of these are "M&Ms", for anyone interested in knowing!

Faery said...

I know this is a late response and no one really cares but we have M&M's too.

Smarties are different although I'm not sure how to explain why.