Thursday, October 06, 2011

I Call Out

Tim Hudak.

The Conservative leader, in a desperate attempt to win the election, has resorted to the worst kind of electioneering. He resorted to the use of hatred and homophobia in his discussion of materials available to teachers to deal with homophobia in the schools. This is simply socially irresponsible. This is CANADA, last I looked, LGBT people were citizens.

He falsely referred to these materials as sex education. They are not. They are not mandatory. They are for use on the discretion of a teacher if needed.

He said they were implemented under the present Liberal Government. They predate this Government and were implemented under his own Conservative party.

These materials were specifically highlighted as a way to demonstrate that the Liberals had lost touch with mainstream Ontarians. As if LGBT people were NOT part of the mainstream.

The use of hatred as a motivator to vote for any party needs to be firmly and completely dealt with. I'm tired of gay people being used to whip up a Fundamentalist Fear Campaign to further a political agenda of hate. One day, I fervently pray, it will be people of faith that demands an end to this kind of tactic, that people of faith will say - enough.

I'm tired of it.

Weary of being your easy target.

Tim Hudak, I wasn't going to say it, but you treated me rudely as a disabled person when you and your crew bumped into me and my wheelchair the other day. I thought it maybe was an accident. Now I see, that hatred comes easy to you, perhaps my willingness to give you the benefit of the doubt was an act of kindness that you don't deserve.

I am a voter,  Mr. Hudak.

Don't ever forget that.

(today's regular post follows)

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks Dave. This does not surprise me one bit. What always does surprise me is that even after people read about his hate mongering in the newpapers they still vote for him.

J.. said...

Wish I could say I am surprised but I am not, just very, very angry. Planning to share this post with a number of people today.

Just Jess for now said...

Really?
I've been out of touch with this election since I'm no longer living in Canada, but that sort of behavior makes me embarrassed to call myself a Canadian.

Karen said...

My present local MPP is from TH's party. We LOVE our MPP.I think he's the most honorable member of that party. I want to vote for him, but I will NOT vote for this party the way it is right now. The lot of them make me sick. I can't vote for the other guy either. I think it's going to be an independent vote for me this time around. It's a "throw away" vote in this municipality, but it's a vote denied the others.

Anonymous said...

You know what I find really sad, and I wonder if it hurts you. You have a lot of Christian readers here. I their absence here today. You make a plea for people of faith to step up to the plate and state that they will have no part of people who try to manipulate them through hatred. They say that God is love and yet are silent in the face of hatred. Forgive me for leaving this kind of message, it is really for you hoping that they don't hurt you by their silence rather than a rebuke to them because I didn't expect better. This kind of lack of moral courage led me to part way with Church and has nearly destroyed what faith I have left. Funny thing is, I'm a married woman, with two kids and a dog. Tim Hudak and others need to remember that the LGBT community has a lot of allies. I'm one of them. I'm sorry he did what he did. I'm sorry that they did what they did.