Sunday, February 01, 2015

Super Bowl / Not

"Are you going to watch the Super Bowl today?"

"No, I don't watch sports."

"Oh, right, I forgot, you're gay."

"What?!?"

For the record, other than being attracted to men, not women, there are very few things that I do because I'm gay. No, I don't watch the Superbowl. This has NOTHING to do with anything other than the fact that I don't like watching sports. It also has to do with the fact that I'm Canadian, why on earth would I get excited about an American sporting event? I don't know who's playing, I don't know where they are playing, I won't know who wins, I won't care who wins.

I don't like sports.

I am gay.

Those are two separate statements that have nothing to do with each other.

The person who said this to me isn't the least bit homophobic, he's a warm, welcoming guy who is perfectly comfortable with his sexuality and with mine. I like him as a person. He's knows I'm writing about this today. He's good with it. He recognizes that he 'slipped' into stereotypical thinking (which is different from prejudicial thinking) and, for the record, we both laughed it off.

I bring this forward because I've realized that we all have to move away from both prejudice and stereotypes, as different phenomenon, when dealing with people. Also because I was forced to watch hockey and baseball as a child because it was seen as 'unnatural' for me not to be interested in these 'boy' things. I detested those hours for two reasons, first - I don't like watching sports; second it was a clear message to me about how broken I was because I wasn't exactly like every other boy.

Stereotypes hurt as much as prejudice does.

So.

If you run into me today, let's talk about the Oscars.

7 comments:

CapriUni said...

Unfortunately, I don't follow Hollywood, either... And while I agree with you about sports, I am vaguely interested in the commercials that air during the Super Bowl -- because the audience is so big, companies put on their "Sunday Best" for all to see... And for me, it's an interesting way to get a snapshot of cultural attitudes for the year.... I generally wait until the game is over, though, and look for the ads on YouTube over the following week.

Here's a commercial from 2012 that I think you might enjoy -- it has a strong vibe of disability pride and humor: Doritos: "Slingshot baby"

Anonymous said...

if you record it - you can fast forward the game and watch the commercials and half time show!!
(just saying!)
:-)

Anonymous said...

love the punchline!

Rachel in Idaho said...

The most rabid football fan I know is a straight woman. Screw stereotypes.

Unknown said...

Very interesting post as usaul Dave. Reflecting opon what you wrote I can't help but think of any personal experinces of prejudice or stereotyping I have recently had. Soemthing I try and work on and get better at. I myself can relate to not enjoying watching sports as a child but wanted to connect with my father so I choose to go along with it. I enjoyed spending time with him more then actaully watching. Still to this day I don't particularly enjoy watching sports. I only watch to spend time with friends. Except mixed martial arts. I really enjoy watching the fights.

Isla said...

I love the fact you posted the context behind this post, I think often things are said or done without malicious intent, and just education is needed. Although I'm English I hate sports, but have enjoyed all the postings of the super bowl adverts over here.

Ron Arnold said...

The older I get, the more disconnected I become to large cultural events like the Super Bowl or the Oscars. They're ephemera - mere distractions. I watched the game - and as Super Bowls go - it was a good one. I watched the half-time show and the commercials too - and I think that the media intelligentsia really do believe we're not very sophisticated out here in the heartland - - - follow along with the narrative and everything will be fine . . .

My wife says I can be a conspiracy theorist sometimes . . . I think I'm too observant.