Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Frozen Pipes!


We are still using a rental car as we deal with the aftermath of being struck by a huge delivery truck. We are attempting to follow the instructions of those who tell us to be grateful that we weren't hurt. But that's cold comfort when dealing with the insurance people, the adjusters, the uncertainty of what happens next. We heard yesterday that our car was old, had 300,000 kilometres on it, and the cost of repair exceeds the worth of the car. It's a write off. I explained that the value of the car, to me, was that it fit my needs as a person and our needs as a couple, perfectly. But cost, as always, supersedes value.

So we are on the hunt for a good used car. We don't want a new car. We don't want to spend a lot of money. The car is used essentially to pick me up from work and take me home. Occasionally a trip to Barrie. Occasionally a trip to Newmarket. For any other travels we rent an accessible van.

One of the things we have learned from the rental car came as a bit of a shock. We've had a Volkswagen Beetle for many years and when the wheelchair is put in the back, it's in the body of the car. Now, with the rental, it's put in the trunk. Yesterday we took our longest run in the car as we travelled up to a golf course just off the 400 highway and when I got out of the warm car to sit in the wheelchair, I almost went into shock.

The metal was as cold as it was outside, colder even. I was embraced in this icy grip and cold shot through my clothes and straight into my bones. Yikes. Double yikes.

We got in and headed to the washroom, we are men over 60 after all, and I was terrified that my waterworks would have frozen solid. I mentioned this to Joe and he said, 'Let's hope a pipe didn't burst.'

And that did it.

We howled.

Just what we needed. To hell with the car and the insurance and the what next - there's still a good laugh to be had. They say laughter is the best medicine - I don't know about that but I can tell you it warms the blood. Exactly what I needed right then.

5 comments:

FunMumX3 said...

A tip from the recently-made-insurance-wise. Last time I set up my auto insurance policy I must have checked some box that gave me full replacement value of my vehicle. I honestly don't remember but with 3 busy kids and a non-involved hubby I'm sure it made sense at the time. After a December accident which wrote off the vehicle I received the full replacement value, it came as quite a surprise but a good one. I don't remember if it had to be a new or nearly new car purchase to get such a thing on my insurance but check it out.

Colleen said...

Dear Dave:

I don't know how it is for men over 60 but for women over 60: full bladder+ a hearty laugh = change of clothes

AkMom said...

My daughter in law's car was deemed a loss, but it was her dream car. She told them she would not accept the verdict and they repaired it.

That was 3 years ago, and the car is still running like an ace.

Not sure if that would work in Canada.

Good luck!

Ron Arnold said...

Get a good Honda. If you got a CRV you could stow your chair in the back. Decent gas mileage, all wheel drive, and they go and go and go . . . .

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - I think I must have missed seeing about the collision! Zero advice from me about how you should or shouldn't be feeling (I mean really, you're the only one who can make that call), but I'm certainly thankful that neither of you were hurt!