Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wrestling with Bunnies

Photo description: Ruby and Sadie with Chocolate Easter paintings of bunnies in various activities.
I have a bit of a thing with the Easter Bunny.




To me, Easter is the holiest of the Christian holidays and I've always thought that the cultural celebration with bunnies and chocolates trivialize one of the cornerstones of my faith. So you won't be seeing me chowing down on Easter eggs - I'm lacto - ovo vegetarian so I'd be allowed - over the holidays. I'm not into it. Don't care for it. And, of course, it's easy to simply opt out.


Even so, when the girls came to visit last weekend, Joe and I had picked up some Easter chocolates for them. They love the 'bun' they love the 'eggs' they love the whole fun of the whole thing. While I enjoyed watching them try to eat the various colours: Ruby, "I haven't ever had green chocolate before in my whole life!" Sadie: "The bunny is an artist like I am!!"


One of the benefits of having worked with people with intellectual disabilities over the years is learning the difference between: what is mine and what is not mine; fact and opinion; my rights and your choice. Many of these lessons have been very hard ones for me. Many of these lessons have been written on both my heart and my soul. These lessons have taught me that I don't need to subjugate someone to my point of view to make my point of view valid. That I don't need to assert my will to prove that I have a will. That force accomplishes nothing.


Neither of the girls asked why we weren't eating Easter candies. We didn't make a show of our abstention, we didn't want to subtly draw them away from their fun and into a discussion of our point of view. There is time enough, when they are older for them to come to their own conclusions about their faith and their traditions.


Of course I think that children need guidance, but knowing what they need guidance about, and when they need it is part of any adult's relationship with children. For me, and for Joe, wrestling a fictional bunny to the ground in front of two children seems a bit ... a bit ... unEastery. If that isn't a word, it should be.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

You are wise, Dave. Give them time to come to their own conclusions.

Ron Arnold said...

"I don't need to subjugate someone to my point of view to make my point of view valid. That I don't need to assert my will to prove that I have a will. That force accomplishes nothing."

You're gonna be my quote of the day on my facebook page tomorrow. Very well said - thank you!

Anonymous said...

Dave,

another reason why you are such a beacon of learning and accepting to me!

Julia

Anonymous said...

I've never been a fan of the Santa kind of Christmas, but when my children were small they heard plenty about Santa. I never told them that Santa was real, but never said that he wasn't either. Time enough for that later.
Blessed Easter to you and yours.
Sharon