Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Princess Dave

We had just gotten off the elevator and were about to go out into the cold when Joe noticed that one of my black slippers had slipped off my foot and was dangling precariously off the footrest. We backed up and found a place, right across from the elevators, where Joe could sit down and then adjust the slipper.

For the longest time, maybe even the first 5 years of my having a disability, this would have been a horribly complicated thing to do. See, I wouldn't let Joe help me with something like that anywhere where it could be seen by others. I'm not sure what I was keeping secret but it was a secret I was keeping. We'd find a bathroom with a large stall, we'd go back to the room, we'd spend a lot of energy on keeping my needs and his support in the closet. I don't know what happened that made, one day, that all seem kind of silly to me. Big deal, Joe helps me with my slipper when it falls off.

There are a few gawkers, of course, but most people go by without any real notice of us at all. On this occasion, Joe got himself seated and then I rolled up to where he could comfortably reach, I lifted my foot, he righted the situation. Then he said, "Let me make sure the other one is on securely too." I dutifully turned my chair and lifted my foot. It was then I noticed a woman, stopped, staring, and slowly shaking her head in disapproval or maybe disgust (or whatever reason that causes people to shake their heads at things like this).

I looked up at her and had one of those moments, I was in a tremendously good mood, and I was looking forward to our stroll out into downtown Charlottetown. I said to her, excitedly, like a breathless princess, "Oh, my gosh, it fits. IT FITS!! I get to go to the ball."

That snapped her out of the stare, she said, "Go ahead, make a joke," and stomped off.

I thought to myself, "For many things in life, that's pretty good advice."

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant!!!!

clairesmum said...

A great story, and I needed that reminder about finding humor in unexpected places. Now, everyone knows that Joe is really Prince Charming!

Glee said...

bahahahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

I thought Dave's readers already knew that Joe was Prince Charming. :^)

My FIL became increasingly disabled in his later years (as we all will!)and was sensitive about folks seeing my MIL do anything for him, like tying his shoes. One day I walked into the kitchen when my MIL was doing just that. When she left the room, he glared at me and rumbled, "I suppose you think I'm lazy!" I just looked at him, shrugged, and said, "No, I think I just saw a nice example of what a loving relationship is all about." He brightened up considerably after that. :^)

Sue

Maggie said...

"Go ahead; make a joke!" what wonderful advice for coping with all sorts of @#$ that occurs in our lives. Too bad she didn't mean it as a supportive offer of guidance.

I am SO glad you get to go to the ball. I am just delighted whenever I see this sort of intimate, gentle assisting of one another, regardless of ability or challenge.

And Joe is certainly Prince Charming!

Thanks for sharing this.

wendy said...

I think she was jealous. She wanted to be the one to take you to the ball and Joe had beaten her (by decades!) to the wool slipper! ;-)

Anonymous said...

And you both lived happily ever after! Great comeback. :-)

Louise said...

It's actually really hard to imagine what MIGHT make someone shake their heads about this. One person helps another person. Nice. And her point was?

CL said...

I am also baffled at why anyone would disapprove of this scene. Was she homophobic or something? I truly can't think of a reason.

Mary said...

Well played.

Anonymous said...

The delightful thing about humour is that it's non-aggressive, even inviting; and one gets to indulge just a little unworthy schadenfreude when someone prefers his illusory outrage to the invitation.

I'd be fascinated to learn what the outrage was, though.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I'm picturing you as the princess and Joe as the prince and the passerby as a a sour little gremlin.

B. said...

Yeah, she must have been jealous,- humour and a prince. Good one, Dave.

Tamara said...

Good reaction - although like someone else already said, I don't get why anyone would stop, stare and shake their head at one person helping another person. It just makes no sense to me.