Monday, December 17, 2012

The Neighbourhood As It Should Be Or How To Talk About it When It Isn't

 
Photo Description: Fred McFeely Rogers, also known as Mr. Rogers, in a red cardigan sweater wearing a white shirt and tie, looks towards the camera and smiles. The background is of an animated countryside.


When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." ― Fred Rogers

Thank you Mr. Rogers for giving us a way to talk to Ruby and Sadie about what they saw on the news yesterday.





3 comments:

Kristine said...

That's been my favorite of all the reassuring quotes going around right now. It gives me something to say to kids, and also to reassure myself! Bad things happen, but it isn't a bad world. My tv screen is full of TONS of good people doing good things, in response to one person doing a bad thing. My heart still hurts. I'm still shaken to the core, and, as a teacher, having a hard time not thinking about it. But there's reason to go on, and have hope, and trust, and love. The world is full of helpers.

Belly (Liz McLennan) said...

Like Kristine, I derived enormous comfort from those simple, wise words this weekend.

I chose not to tell my children about the tragic events in Connecticut, but struggled mightily with the decision. Still do.

It's a terrible joy, isn't it, seeing the best of humanity admidst such horror.

Shan said...

I don't struggle with the decision not to tell my children, at all. Knowing will not help them. Someday, too soon, they'll have to face the knowledge of what people can do to each other, and they'll have to live with these news stories for the rest of their lives. Let them be children while they can.