Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's All In How You See It

The girls each grabbed their new sweats from Roots and headed to the bedroom to change into them. We had purchased them as Christmas presents but when they were here for the weekend, I simply couldn't wait. I used the excuse that I wasn't so sure about the sizes and I wanted them to try them on because if we need to take them back and exchange them, that could be done before the big day. Mike and Joe smiled knowingly and the kids gleefully tore into the bag to see what was there.

I love giving 'warm' gifts. Throws. Blankets. Those kinds of things. These, when I saw them, just fit the bill. Roots makes really fine clothes and when I felt the sweats, the first thing I thought was 'ummm, warm.' They were in my shopping bag in an instant. I just loved imagining the girls getting in them and feeling all warm and snugly. When they arrived for the weekend, it was cold out. Really COLD. The air was doing that magical thing where the coldness seems to snap and spark in front of your eyes.

I knew that they had to have their sweats, then and there.

It's COLD out.

Kids need to be warm.

After they were wearing them, curled up together in our big chair and deep into watching Arthur Christmas on DVD, I was joking with Mike and Joe about my inability to hold back on things like this. It really could have waited to Christmas. I said, "I really have a problem with waiting to give the girls some of their gifts."

A voice came from Ruby, eyes still glued to the television, "I don't think that's a problem at all."

So I guess, everything, our personal idiosyncrasies and peccadilloes included, are all a matter of perspective.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruby is so right!

There were days that I did not know if I would survive for another day. Waiting for christmas, my birthday etc. seemed useless.
Gifts from people who love do not need a date.

Julia

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha - I love that Ruby. She is right on! I'm with you - it is hard to wait on giving gifts. You are probably like me and shop with the person in mind and give a bit of yourself away with each gift. I get so excited - almost more than the recipient. I love giving. I wish I was in the position to give, give, give - to those I love - and to those I don't love yet. My chosen profession would be philanthropist. Wouldn't that be wonderful?? Roots sweats for everyone!!!

Colleen said...

Dear Dave:

I love it! thanks for the smile.

Colleen

Bubbles said...

Out of the mouths of babes...

pattib said...

I love Ruby wise comments! She must be an old soul. :)

Nan said...

its never too early to be warm! cuddled in clothes a treasured person has given us!

Shan said...

Great photo.

Rickismom said...

I also have trouble waiting to give gifts. I often figure if I've bought it already, why shouldn't they have it to use fr a few more days? (Although, there is the point of giving on a holiday, to make the day special...)
But if they were cold, what's the question?

theknapper said...

Everone needs new pjs before Christmas....the timing was perfect!!! Love your Ruby storries.

wendy said...

I'm with Ruby on this one! She's a child after my own heart.

Anonymous said...

I love Ruby! I love the families we make for ourselves. And I love the holidays. I rarely give gifts, but I relish shared experiences. As I was taking my 10 year old "chosen" grandchild and my two year old grand-daughters out last week for our annual Christmas light drive and the mandatory ice cream that follows, the 10 year old becomes very serious. "You know after you die I promise I will carry on the tradition of finding Christmas. You don't have to worry." even now it make me so warm just to think that she recognizes how important these times are.