Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Aging At The Push of A Button

I was shopping in the little pharmacy in the mall near us. They had some new Valentines Day stuff in and I wanted to get a few things to send to the kids. I found some wonderful 'princess' Valentines that I know will be a huge hit, in they went into the bag. There were other little things that were perfect sized to go into a package for little girls.

Amazingly I never noticed this stuff until we had the kids to shop for. For me, it's kind of a mammoth act of will to enter into the spirit of Valentines day in any way, shape or form. Memories of being the one kid that got only 'runt' valentines, the one's other kids mothers made them fill out haunt me still. But part of the 'job' of being and adult is to not let the pain of the past be passed on to a little child's present. So, I'm getting a batch of Valentines card and working up a little speech about how every kid should get a card specially picked out!

My bag was near full and shopping time was near over. I saw Joe, who was in the grocery store picking up tomato paste wave at me from the mall. He was ready. I got in line up and when it was my turn the nice man at the till grabbed up my bag and pulled stuff out scanning and chatting with me as he often does. He's a friendly guy. The bill came to 51.04 and I got out my wallet only to see him push a button on the till that magically dropped my bill to just over 40 dollars. I looked at him with shock. My face said, "That was cool, what happened?"

He told me that it was 20 percent off for seniors that day. I told him quickly that I wasn't a senior. He looked at the machine confused and said, "I don't know how to make you young again."

"Neither do I," I said and we both started laughing.

So.

I'm officially old.

Or old looking.

Does it matter which?

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I don't think you look that old.

theknapper said...

some places you just have to be 55!

BenefitScroungingScum said...

How cute!

I know a while ago you asked what you could do to help support the efforts of disabled protestors in the UK so I really hope you'll be able to take part in One Month Before Heartbreak this friday, saturday or sunday?
http://thebrokenofbritain.blogspot.com/2011/01/more-one-month-before-heartbreak.html

The event is being run by another member of the BofB team - Emma and we hope it will be really big. An internationally known blogger and disability rights activist such as yourself could give a huge boost to our numbers and ability to gain publicity so we hope you'll be part of it. Thanks Dave, best wishes to you and Joe, BendyGirl Xx

Nathan Dawthorne said...

Hey - you can say I'm 92 if it gets me a discount!

Belinda said...

Ha ha! What a moment!

Brenda said...

LOL! I just discovered this week that C.A.R.P. accepts members as young as 45. I can hardly fathom that we can now qualify for "seniors' discounts"! But ya know what? I'll take it!

Colleen said...

Dear Dave:

You and I have the same birthday. Today I feel a kajillion years old. Maybe it is catching?

You had princess valentines in your bag - that has got to take at least 10 years off :-)

Colleen

Lene Andersen said...

that made me laugh. Awesome!

Of course, the first time that happens to me, I'll probably go home to bed for a week. ;)

Susan said...

I love it! :)