Thursday, October 12, 2006

Giggle

One of the first comments I got on this blog was by someone that was offended. Sheesh. The comment, not left here but sent to me personally at my home email address was: "What's with the constant references to fat? I think you have a real self esteem problem." Woah! How's that for paying Lucy 5 cents for a psychiatric consultation. Firstly, pardon me? Second, what? Third, please!

What ever happened to having a sense of humour about yourself? You know why comics are funny - because they laugh at themselves. It's healthy for heaven's sake. We've all begun to take ourselves way, way, way to serously. As a fat person, I distrust people in thin skins. We get through life by laughing. At least I do. Golly (dontcha love that word) fat people get jolly as a stereotype - beats the hell out of skinnies and 'roid rage.

Today at work, I had to meet with Donna and Lina about something really serious. It was intense. It involved problemsolving. It was hard work. But you know what I remember about today. Lina's kick ass shoes. (Those heels could pierce a baby's heart.) Donna's problem with shot glasses. (Don't ask.) Theresa and the gay giraffe. (Really, don't ask.) Manuela and the body parts. (I said, don't ask.) I remember all the laughter that poured out of that end of the office.

I came home with no stress from the meeting because we'd covered the meat with gravy. Poured chocolate sauce on stress. So, I think 'chewing the fat' is just funny. It has no ... NO ... subtext. It isn't about self-hatred. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes funny is just funny.

The other week I was in Chicago with Susan, from the other place I work, and we were about to present at a conference where every shirt is stuffed and every ego fluffed. I get nervous here. But though the talk was serious - about serious stuff - and the conferencee ATSA (Association for Treatment of Sex Abusers) has a very lofty aim. We sat in a huge convention room, having got there hours early and giggled that ATSA was held in a hotel on Wacker Street. We both think that's funny. There is humour in EVERYTHING and every situation.

Our presentation went smoothly. Laughter took the nerves out of the room for a stroll, bought them an ice cream and brought them back ready for a nap. Whenever something seems too absurd to be true I'm going to look at Susan and say, 'Wacker Street."

OK, here's what I believe, I think that every time we have a good chuckle we take a step back from the line that abusers cross. Secret out, I truly believe that. I think that laughter looses our grip on power and eases the pressure on the ignition switch attached to our temper. I think that people who laugh are people who will stay sane when insanity surrounds. So, I'm sticking with Chewing the Fat, I'm ignoring people who find the serious in the absurd.

It is my wish that I finish my days in human service without ever having to go to the confessional and repent abuse. And if it takes laughing at myself ... or you ... to keep that from happening - so be it.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

As a relatively skinny person, who confesses to occasional "roid rage," but who is in recovery, I am grateful that I also am prone to fits of giggles, often at embarrassing moments. I cannot read a funny passage out loud without tears of laughter and needing to blow my nose in a most inelegant way. I'm with you Dave--there cannot be too much laughter in the world. It's one of God's best inventions.

Belinda said...

Just found out from Dave that I confessed to the universe that I have occasional bouts of "steroid" rage. No,no,no--I meant the "roids" that appear elsewhere on the bod and might make one a tad testy! I think I just confessed to something worse--oh well.