Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Feeling

After seeing that man with Down Syndrome take control of a situation wherein unwanted touch and belittling attention was plied on him, I left the situation feeling ...

and that was hard to say ...

... don't yell at me but I was inspired ...

... I was also really moved by his steadfast refusal to be the 'happy, huggy, Down Syndrome' guy they wanted him to be.

... I was impressed at the mere idea that someone had taught him these skills and ensured that he was able to use them in the real world.

All of those were true.

But that wasn't it. Deep down, that wasn't it. I sometimes have to go past my brain which tells me what I saw and assumes what I feel and get down into where my feelings generate.

I felt stronger.

That's it!

I felt stronger.

This is something I think we can do with each other as people in general and disabled people in particular. Seeing another's strength, hearing about it, makes us stronger, as an individual and as a community. You realize that that couple may never approach a person with Down Syndrome with the certainty of a 'hug outcome' again. Rah him He made his community stronger. He made my community stronger. And yes.

He made me stronger.

Tell stories of strength.

Create narratives of power.

Acknowledge reality but hammer it home when a triumph comes your way.

I need to hear it.

We all do.

1 comment:

Ron Arnold said...

"I was impressed at the mere idea that someone had taught him these skills and ensured that he was able to use them in the real world."

There is also the very real possibility that he figured this out all on his own.