Thursday, October 10, 2013

Picture This Bozo

So, we just wanted to pop into the mall to go to the post office, to pick up medications at the pharmacy and to get a few things for supper. Simple. But on arrival at the ramp I found that the ramp was blocked by someone who'd strapped their bike to it. Here take a look:

This lovely bike blocked so much of the ramp, what with the cool straight handle bars, that there was simply no access up the ramp. Now, there is another ramp up to the mall, and it wasn't much further along, but I was really annoyed. This part of town has all sorts of places specifically for bike riders to lock their bikes to - so there are options. But this selfish person decided that it was OK to block all scooters, wheelchairs and strollers. Their needs are more important than anyone else who might have use of the ramp.

What gets me is that it is impossible NOT to see that the ramp was made inaccessible to any who need use it. It's clearly in the way. It's not inadvertently done, it's purposefully done.

What is this?

I don't know how to think about it.

Is it ignorance?

Is it prejudice?

Is it arrogance?

Don't tell me it's thoughtlessness because I don't accept that - it so obviously blocked the passageway that it had to have been done with a degree of 'knowing'.

Don't tell me that they thought they'd be just a moment - it was there when we went in, and we did all what we expected to do and where in line ups at each stop - we were there a while. It was there on the way out. And yes, we stood in line as soon as we got in to report the situation to the security folks.

I'd like your take on this ... what's happening here?

What does this picture mean to you?

Cause let me tell you it means something to me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have been pretty PO'd as well! It was a choice. A bad choice. And I don't care what the reasons are - it was inconsiderate and downright rude. Why is it those that have so many choices, like riding a bike then walking into a store, feel that they have the right to make their choices more important.

I actually saw a person ram a bike blocking an access - over and over. When the rider came out all ticked, the power wheelchair user said sarcastically "Sorry, I was just trying to gain access to the store like you did." Then practically ran the guy over and continued on. Although "violence" solves nothing really, I can't help but think it must have felt pretty good.

I have waited for people to come out of places that have blocked access or parked in a designated handicapped parking place. I tell them that this is inappropriate and inconsiderate. I'd say 9 out of 10 times I got indifference, and once "the finger". Only one person apologized. It is so infuriating.

That is one good thing about requiring license plates for bikes. After all they "share the road" and get the advantage of the transportation. You could take the info, take a picture and report them. There should be fines just like parking spots.

ARrghhgHHHH!

Moomin Girl said...

I would say it is ignorance. :(

Jan Goldfield said...

After two years of letter writing, complaining in person, the phone company in my little town installed a ramp. The workers, evidently not liking the plain concrete, put pots of flowers up and down the ramp. I call this stupidity or just plain anger that they have to look at a ramp and put up with those of us who must use the ramp. I debated whether I should call them inside and ask them to move the pots or just make my way up with pots flying left, right and center. I chose the latter and smiled as the flowers and pots tumbled and crashed. The pots have not returned.

Unknown said...

Reflection of the "me" generation with no thoughts of consequences for others. See it everyday and these people are clueless. I just remind them, they too may need access someday and be treated as poorly as they have treated others.

Princeton Posse said...

Perhaps you should have left a note with a link to your blog. The rider would maybe see what the challenges are...but then, probably not that open to alternatives.

Colleen said...

I think that the person just did not care if they blocked access for other people - it was probably all about their convenience. As far as I know there is no legal recourse. Can they be ticketed or fined? I don't think so and even if they could, it happens so rarely with accessible parking spots as to be an ineffective deterant anyway. I don't know what the solution might be. But I can certainly see how it would spark anger. I just can't advocate violence.

Anonymous said...

This feels like ignorance and denial to me. I think it's likely that the person knew that they were partially blocking the ramp, but since the whole thing wasn't completely blocked, they told themselves a story that it was still accessible. Most people cannot see things from the POV of a person using a wheelchair, so they don't have any concept of not being able to walk around something. It's what we ambulatory and relatively thin people do all the time -- we slide by things, under things, over things. I don't think that most people have the empathy or imagination to consider that it's isn't possible for people who need a ramp.

Jo Kelly said...

I've seen this quite often as well - mainly ignorance I think. Young folks who should know better but don't. They are rarely open to a conversation about it. Kids often dump their bikes on the sidewalk as they enter convenience stores and I will push and shove them out of my way - without hesitation! Kids though, are usually more open to learning about it and I've often had very positive conversations with them about access. I like to point out that if it were their grandmother coming into the store, she likely would not be able to step over their bikes and how would they like someone treating their granny that way! It works.

wheeliecrone said...

There are people in this world who simply do not think of anyone except themselves. I call these people The Centre of the Universe.
Apparently Toronto has at least one Centre of the Universe, and he has a bicycle.

B. said...

A very amusing mental picture of you considering the situation and then going for it, Jan Goldfield. Could be a bit for a comedy show,- a pot topples here, then one there... oops. Makes the point.