Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Moment

An odd little encounter.

I was driving north, home from a lunch of the best portobello fajitas in the world, on Yonge Street. A woman with a white cane was coming confidently down the street. I knew we were going to collide. My chair is silent. I was on a sidewalk where I couldn't move over because of snow drifts. I could have called out, of course, but I was running so quickly through solutions, I forgot the obvious one. So, it happened she bumped into me.

'Oh, my, I'm sorry,' she said, startled.

'No, really, I'm sorry,' I said, quickly.

'You are in a wheelchair,' she said, with a question in her voice.

'I am,' I said confirming her suspicions.

'Thank heavens, if I'm going to mess up, I like to mess up with family,' she said with warmth in her voice.

'I feel that way too,' I said.

She left me smiling. I'd felt embraced by the warmth of her voice. I'd felt touched by the expectation of mutual understanding. I'd felt like I'd been given a gift. A valuable gift. Kinship

10 comments:

Glee said...

Yes we know family :)

ivanova said...

Love it!

Sher said...

Great story for White Cane Week. Have a good one.

Dave Hingsburger said...

I didn't know it was White Cane Week, I'm going to look it up now! Thanks for letting me know.

Andrea S. said...

I like this story!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story about what must of been a wonderful interaction. Once again thanks for sharing.

Mathew D. said...

After a week of "good Samaritans" playing "help the disabled dude" (complete with self-congratulating when they thought I was out of earshot), it was nice to read something that brought a smile to my face.

Thanks for sharing such a great story. :)

theknapper@hotmail.com said...

family in the best sense of the word

Miss Ginny Tea said...

^_^

(Complete aside, and I apologise for it, but I would dearly love more information about these "best portobello fajitas". *pleezeface*)

Dave Hingsburger said...

Miss Ginny Tea, the fajitas downtown at Frans are amazing. The very best I've ever had. The wheelchair entrance is through the hotel next door, not from the street. They are very accomodating for wheelchair users - or my experience has been good and I have a large chair. Let me know if you try them.