Friday, August 06, 2010

The Neighbour

Today is the last day of work before vacation. I'm typing this about an hour before the bus comes to pick me up. I have a few things to do today that, if not done, will creep into my mind throughout the vacation and steal peace from me. I admit it I'm a worry-wart. More than that I take small concerns and turn them into giant catastrophes. I've learned then, to try to sweep up concerns with a very industrious broom and dump them into the 'finished with' bin.

Knowing myself isn't always a pleasant thing, sometimes it's like having an annoying neighbour whose habits are grating but, well, what do you do, they live next door and you can't avoid them. So, instead I develop coping mechanisms and end up talking to myself about myself in the third person, 'Get this done or he'll bug you about it for the whole holiday.' 'Make that phone call or he'll make you feel guilty about it for days and days.' This is probably a weird way to go about life but, it works. I get things done and avoid that carping inner voice who believes that nagging and guilt are a form of helping.

On Sunday we meet up with Mike, Marissa, Ruby and Sadie for the rest of the week. We were talking on the phone last night and Ruby came on to talk. I asked her if she was looking forward to the vacation. She said, 'Yep'. What was she looking forward to, 'When the water falls' she said referring to a huge bucket that dumps water at the water park. Do you have anything you need to do before you go, I asked thinking of all the packing and getting ready, 'No.' She was completely unconcerned and already ready though not a single item of clothing or a single toy packed.

Unconcerned.

My goal is to do everything I can that will shut the neighbour up and spend time looking at the world like a 4 year old girl who hasn't a care in the world. That and nap a lot.

7 comments:

Belinda said...

Bon voyage, and may you leave all your cares behind with "Dave 2." No, better yet, may they be all neatly tied up in a bow and done with as you leave and filed away. Take Dave 2 with you (he's part of who we love) and give him a well deserved break, too! Happy, happy holiday!

Princeton Posse said...

I love the first day of holidays. So much potential...

theknapper said...

Whatever gets you thru.....I like Belinda's comments.....Dave 2 needs a break probably more than you do.....enjoy. Do you have a new mystery to read?

Dave Hingsburger said...

Hey, theknapper, I'm reading an awesome series - completely different from any other series - by Olen Steinhauer. I've just started the third of the 5 book series, will probably get through at least one more during the week. Love 2 read.

Betsy said...

Dave, are you going to the new "Calypso" water park near Ottawa? I took my 13-year-old daughter, who has Down syndrome, and orthopedic problems that confine her to a stroller for distances more than a few feet, to that Park, and had a TERRIBLE experience with customer service. Not only were they not willing to make any concessions for her, the person at the gate was very rude, and flippant, telling me, "I don't care how other places do it, that's not how its done here."

I'll be interested to here about your experience if you go!

Have fun on vacation!

Andrea S. said...

Betsy:

How awful! Did you try speaking to the manager there?

Even if they didn't have a good protocol in place for accommodating the needs of people with disabilities, there's still no call for them to be so rude about it. Because if there wasn't a good procedure in place (which, alas, wouldn't surprise me) ... then there SHOULD have been one.

Dave Hingsburger said...

Betsy, I've never been to that water park but we've talked about going there.Now I don't know if I want to ... what's so demanding about wanting access and why do people think that adaptation is such a big freaking deal? Sorry that you and your daughter had your day spoiled.