Thursday, January 31, 2008

Today

Today, I'm honoured. People with disabilities are coming from around several miles around to a four hour class I'm teaching. What is the curriculum ... well, let's see.

Saying No ...

... to abuse

... to disrespect

... to bullying

Saying Yes ...

... to making choices

... to feeling competent

... to self worth

Saying No ...

... to unwanted touch

... to exploitation

... to forced compliance

Saying Yes ...

... to pride

... to self determination

... to the right to risk

Teaching materials are simple ...

... laughter

... roll plays

... group dynamics

Today I get to do what I love to do.

Teach.

And in case no one brings one, I've polished my own apple.

7 comments:

Joyful Fox said...

Wish I was there. I've been to a few of your training sessions and I've always walked away inspired, and with new ways to serve.

Next time, I'll bring the apple!

Kei said...

Nice! Have a wonderful day!

Jenny Fields in disguise said...

I'm sure you will have a possible impact on everyone who walks in. I hope to have the same privilege one day.

Jenny Fields in disguise said...

ooops I meant to say positive. too many tasks at once I guess!

Susan said...

It's a wondrous thing, isn't it, when we longer need to rely on the praise and affirmation of others? It's nice to get it, but even nicer when you get it and you don't even need it.

Way to go, Dave!

Susan said...

I left out "no"... It's a wondrous thing when we NO longer need to rely on the praise and affirmation of others...

But I'm glad I made the mistake because it's given me another chance to say, "You SHOULD feel really good about what you did today, Dave!"

How'd it go, anyway?

lina said...

Wish I could be there for another one of your amazing days!
Enjoy!